“Slightly odd, mostly good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Cathedrale

Hotel Cathedrale
Ranked #48 of 128 Hotels in Strasbourg
New York City, New York
“Slightly odd, mostly good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted and then told that a man would walk me to my room. I was a bit surprised but was assured that it was a lovely room. But it was not in the main building of the hotel, rather about a block away. I had my own key into the building and then the room itself. It certainly was huge with a very large bed, a small kitchenette, couch, table, desk and a wonderful bathroom with a tub and separate shower. It also had a very large window which looked directly at the side of the Cathedral. And the room was pleasantly decorated. So there were a lot of positives. The negative was that I didn't feel like I was staying in a hotel (and I LIKE hotels). My breakfast was included so I had to walk about a block to get it and I always felt like an interloper. For the most part the staff was excellent although I was a bit taken aback when I asked one male staff member at the desk about wine tours and was told to go to the tourist office. Had I actually stayed in the hotel I would have found a very useful booklet all about Strasbourg (I found it when I was checking out) but there was no reception area in my building. It was amazingly quiet and as I said, very comfortable. If I were to return to Strasbourg, I would probably choose something in a slightly less crowded (touristy) area even though it was convenient for sightseeing.

Room Tip: If you want a kitchen, ask for the Residence. If you want to stay in the hotel, I think you should...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Espoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

A cosy, cute and comfortable hotel in the heart of Strasbourg. The location could not be better and more central, this hotel really stands out as a good and central choice to explore Strasbourg.
We chose a comfortable double room which was nicely decorated; definitely a boutique hotel feeling! Attention had been paid to the small details. The room was fairly big, had a comfortable bed, minibar and the bathroom was almost huge. Both the room and the bathroom were spotlessly clean. The hotel is a bit of a labyrinth but in a cool and interesting way. There are stairs a bit of here and there so I would definitely not recommend this place to people with reduced mobility thou. You need take the stairs to the 1st floor to catch the elevator as well. I visited the toilet by the luggage room and it was one of the cutest I have seen in ages, so well decorated and just had something special.
All in all a very good choice in Strasbourg, would definitely recommed to everyone who wants to stay in a boutique hotel where small details and comfort make your stay even better!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoadCalls
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

The one way system in the centre of Strasbourg presented our sat nav with a bit of a challenge (and few people will always have an up to date GPS with them). There is no hotel parking, so a GPS reference for one of the local car parks would have been more helpful. The staff were friendly, but the information provided by web and email before our trip was confusing in some areas, leading to a misunderstanding - we thought we'd booked a room with balcony or access to a terrace, in fact none of the rooms have either (there being just a terrace at ground floor level). Worse, we were given a miniscule "double" in which only one side of the bed was accessible (the other was pushed up against the wall) and there was restricted headroom. We returned to reception where they provided us with alternatives, one at no charge and one for a considerable extra amount - we opted for the no charge option. A nice top-floor room, with mural and ceiling painting and a huge bathroom, but I did wonder about fire safety (a first for me in any hotel!) The reason was that it's an old building full of wooden structures, our bedroom window was port-hole sized, and we seemed to have only one means of egress, down a long-ish narrow corridor. Breakfast was good - though the gorgeous fruit tart mysteriously vanished half way through service. All in all we felt that the customer service overall was a little below what we expected.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front face the cathedral - which chimes loudly and peals early - beware!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for two nights to explore Strasbourg and she couldn't have chosen a better place! The location is superb, looking out on the cathedral. Being in a fab location, it is quite pricy, so we went for the cheapest available room which was small and only had a window out on the staircase (hence not very light) - you get what you pay for- but the room was, nevertheless, very nicely decorated, with a big tv and very comfy bed and spotlessly clean. The decor within the hotel all focuses on the cathedral with pictures and cathedral painted on the walls. This could have gone terribly wrong and become tacky but they've done it so well that the overall feel is of a cool and lovely boutique hotel. The breakfast isn't cheap at 13 euros but you get some fantastic rolls and bread, a superb selection of cheese, good hot drinks amongst other nice stuff so I would go for the Buffett, especially as the breakfast room has the most stunning views out on the cathedral! Staff is very friendly and go out of their way to help you make your stay outstanding. You have to get up some stairs to get to the elevator so people with walking problems should be aware of this. Apart from this I can honestly say that nothing beats having some tarts flambees, some good wine and then just having to walk a few steps back to your stylish hotel with one of the most stunning views I've ever seen :-)!

• Stayed September 2013
Asse, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel is the perfect start to visit Strasbourg. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. The breakfast is basic but tasty. When you arrive with the car they should advise you better where to park the car.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Friends and I stayed at the Hotel Cathedrale in Strasbourg in August for one night. Wish we could have stayed longer! The hotel's location could not have been more convenient. It rained while we were there but we were close to sights and restaurants. The rooms were small but clean, the bathrooms modern and the breakfast ample and very good. The staff was ok. Would definitely stay there again. Love Strasbourg!

Room Tip: Two of us faced the cathedrale. Since it rained there was no light show at the cathedrale but also n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were a group of four and had booked two rooms in this quaint and Art Deco type hotel which is well situated right across from the cathedral itself which is one of the main attractions in the city.

The buffet breakfasts where wonderful and the view of the cathedral each morning was awe-inspiring.

The staff were exceptionally nice and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012