“Lovely quaint tiny restaurant”
Review of Vince'Stub - CLOSED

Vince'Stub
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Great atmosphere as so small. Maximum seating 20 people very close together. Although no English spoken or any translation of menu into English, we had a wonderful meal. Very typical of the region with good flavours. The staff were lovely and the bill was less than expected. A must if you like small informal restaurants. Early Reservations required

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We felt that we needed to try Choucroute while we were in Alsace. This restaurant was quite picturesque and looked typically Alsatian (or our concept of typically Alsatian).

The service was very good and very friendly. But the choucroute really seemed very average to us. In fact, it was disappointing. We had thought we would have some type of exceptional sauerkraut and sausages, but what we had seemed to be rather bland ham and not such good kraut.

This could have been an off night; restaurants have those, but as it was, I could not recommend this spot.

2  Thank RobinLeeTexas
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The food was great, as was the wine. Both were from the region and very good to eat. All of this was presented in a small cozy restaurant with an amazingly nice and helping waitress. However be prepared to use your French, English is not used in the menus.

2  Thank Luca B
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have a few wishes when looking for a restaurant in France: preferably small and that also then (usually) automatically ticks the other boxes: a one chef establishment where the menu is also small and the food excellent without breaking the bank.

A week before we went to Strasbourg I went looking for a restaurant here in TA and this one came out number one for me. Thank you to everyone who write reviews so that other traveller's can find the perfect restaurant for themselves.

Vince Stub ticked all the boxes for us. Lovely cosy restaurant but still enough room between the tables to sit comfortably. The waitress was efficient and friendly.

Because we wanted to taste 3 courses we ordered 2 entrée’s to share between 4 of us and unfortunately we did that with the dessert as well, I am still regretting that!

The salmon “Assietee de Saumon” was wonderful, light and tasty, could have eaten it all myself. The “Croustillant de munster” was also very good though a heavier dish so I thought this was a good sharing dish.

I was very impressed with our ‘Cote de boeuf’, which is for 2 people and costs €34, excellent value. I had ordered it rare but it came more on the side of medium-rare but with the quality meat it was very tender and very yummy. The salad was simple but with a tasty dressing and a good accompaniment for the meat. The chips were crispy perfect.

If I were to return I would have the ‘Souris d’agneau’, the lamb was fantastic.
The ‘Cordon bleu de volaille’ (chicken) was cooked well but was not such a success for us as the other 2 dishes, but that would not say that other people would not enjoy it thoroughly.

We ordered 2 desserts “ Moelleau au Chocolat”, made as it is supposed to be made with a runny center, excellent.
I am still dreaming of the Souffle glace and next time will not be sharing. It was deliciously smooth, creamy cold goodness with a good taste of Grand Marnier. I was so busy fighting for my share that I even forgot to take a photo.

Our bill for food alone came to €84.

3  Thank roma01
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I rated only 3 stars since my wife chose the bretzel burger which was rather plain/untasty. Let's face it; a burger isn't very French. I had the choucrutte which was excellent. We also shared an entree of wrapped/fried goat's cheese which was superb.

This restaurant is tiny, 18 place settings inside plus a few tables outside. Glad we'd reserved ahead of time as when we arrived at 2000 only one table was taken. An hour later would-be guests were being turned away as all tables were taken. Best to reserve a table here despite the season since the restaurant is so small. I used their website to reserve without a problem.

Vince 'Stub has a small menu but does offer quite a bit of variation. They also have a good dessert selection; too bad we were already full by that time or the creme brulee would have been mine!

We'd be happy to return again but my wife would certainly go French next time and skip the rather plain burger.

1  Thank travelmeisteren