“Great place to observe people while waiting for the train!”
Review of Le Rive Gauche

Le Rive Gauche
Ranked #23 of 24 Coffee & Tea in Strasbourg
Cuisines: French, Cafe, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great place to observe people while waiting for the train!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had been in this restaurant twice before, always in summer and it had always been a last minute decision either because we missed one train and had to wait for the next or we wanted to take a break on our way to Petite France. This afternoon, again, it was the former. I am glad I sat down for a glass of wine to kill time.

The café is situated between the train station and the city and in summer the place is always full. I have had breakfast here once, but the two other times just drinks. The café has a full menu with local specialties, salads, soups and drinks. I think the prices for drinks are very reasonable while the Alsatian specialties demand rather a high price. The place is popular with all sorts of people and the service is very efficient, and friendly.

This afternoon I had just a glass of Bordeaux because I do not usually find Pinot Noir from Alsace very satisfying, but this Bordeaux was not very good either. However, I enjoyed sitting there watching people and enjoying the summer day. It is in a strategic place to catch a lot of customers. Last time when we had breakfast at this café we were staying in the IBIS hotel close by. We wanted to enjoy the nice outdoor café before leaving Strasbourg.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank SunnyW358

Chicago
“Très Bien Avant le Train [p.s. Review is in English]”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This will be the first English-language review of Le Rive Gauche. I'm amused to see that the two existing reviews in French both praise this spot as good for a meal before catching the train. By coincidence, that's what I did.

It was early Sunday afternoon, and I was wrapping up a weekend visit to Strasbourg. I wanted a quick snack prior to catching the TGV to Paris. Strasbourg is loaded with places where you could easily spend two hours at lunch. I didn't want one of these, and I didn't want anything from the snack bars at the train station.

Le Rive Gauche was just the thing, and then some. Here I had an Alsatian speciality, flammekueche, a.k.a. tarte flambée, that I'd managed not to have had earlier in my visit, accompanied by a couple of glasses of pinot noir.

Although there are dessert varieties as well, flammekueche is essentially a very thin-crust, wood-fired local version of pizza without tomatoes. It's a simple dish that cooks fast, and though you can have it as the centerpiece of dinner —as I'd seen several family groups do the night before— it's an ideal light meal for someone in a hurry, let's say someone who needs to catch a train.

This small Parisian-style café may be close to the train station —about a five-minute walk— but it's not exactly across the street. It's actually closer to la Petite France and les Ponts Couverts on one of the quais of the Rivière Ill, yet just far-enough removed from the tourist-frequented restaurants to be more of a local place.

Visitors might overlook Le Rive Gauche because of its non-Strasbourgeois look. In summer, though, I imagine that Le Rive Gauche, with its little terrace out front, catches some of the overflow from the Grande Île. When I was there, the crowd comprised a couple of young mothers with their children, another solo patron, and a pair of older gentlemen at the bar watching a soccer game —all area residents as far as I could tell.

But who knows? Their next stop might also have been la Gare SNCF —the train station.

• Visited March 2013