“If all concierges were like Bob”
Review of Hilton Strasbourg

Hilton Strasbourg
Ranked #39 of 129 Hotels in Strasbourg
Copenhagen, Denmark
“If all concierges were like Bob”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This being my first visit to a Hilton hotel with my family and not in connection to business travel, I was not sure what to expect. For me, Hilton hotels have always been tailored to the needs of a suit wearing businessman, used to living on the road and not carrying much more than cabin luggage. Traveling with my spouse and our 8 month old son, with a car packed to it's limits, this was to me quite far from what I could see Hilton being used to. I was soon to be proven very wrong.

To begin with the check in, I was instantly upgraded to the executive room, which was a pleasant gesture - although not to much use when traveling with a small child. The baby cot provided was quite large, solid and with a rather good mattress. Although it's size limited our possibilities of moving it around the room, our son seemed to sleep quite well in it. During the check-in, the receptionist called the staff to confirm, whether the cot was in place - nice touch by Isabelle, who acted very well and made us all three feel very welcome.

As mentioned before, we arrived with quite a lot of luggage, so as I unpacked the car, my spouse and son were shown to the room by Bob, who also brought the first few bags with him. Throughout our stay, he prove to be the best concierge who I have ever met. He was helpful with arranging anything from parking, to wine and wireless internet access. He might not have done more than what you could expect from a concierge at a hotel of this standard, but he was so personable and positive in his attitude, he made us feel almost like at home.

When you see the hotel from the outside, it seems to be very brown and dark, this also is the impression you get when walking through the corridors, but the room itself was quite bright and clean. The rooms might be some years old, but they are kept spotlessly clean and I couldn't put my finger on much when it comes to the cleanliness. We didn't have any worries letting our son play on the carpet.

Bathroom wasn't too big, and equipped with a bath-tub. As practical as it was for bathing a child, I missed a separate walk-in shower for a quick "rinse".

Selection in the breakfast buffet wasn't as large as I have experienced in other Hilton hotels, but it covers most of the basics. I missed a larger selection in the cold buffet, i.e. more fruits and vegetables. The service in the restaurant was flawless too, with especially Lati being very kind and enjoyed "chatting" with our son. Each morning all three of us looked forward to eating breakfast, partly thanks to her.

So in general, an experience above my expectations, where my prejudice of Hilton not being a family friendly hotel were confounded. This is a perfect place to stay if you, as we did, drive from Scandinavia to southern France.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lunow
Veronique_Kubler, PA to Katharina Schlaipfer, General Manager at Hilton Strasbourg, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Strasbourg and for having taken the time to share your feelings following you recent stay in our hotel. We delighted to read that your stay was so pleasant for you, your spouse and your baby.
It was a really pleasure to welcome you, and the nice words you have for Isabelle, Bob and Lati have been shared with them. Thank you.
We do hope that you will choose HILTON Strasbourg one more time during your next travel between Scandinavia and South of France. Sincerely yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Las Colinas - DFW, TX
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I visited Strasbourg on my vacation, and used points to stay here. This hotel is a 2 block walk from the tram that can take you to downtown. Its not the best location, but its in a quiet area and the room is fine. There is even a convenient parking lot right behind the hotel (which is uncommon in Europe).

Hilton does not have a ton of choices in Strasbourg, so if you really want to stay in the heart of the city I wouldn't recommend this hotel. If you are just looking for a place to spend the night, its fine.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank uptownmatt
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Strasbourg and for having taken the time to share your feelings following you recent stay in our hotel. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests which help us in our constant strive to achieve the highest quality standards. We sincerely hope that you had a pleasant stay.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Sincerely yours.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 2, 2012

The hotel location is pretty good, just a few minutes walk from the tram station that take you to the city center. (You can buy tram/bus tickets at the reception).
As Hilton gold members we've got a executive room with lounge access. The room was big, with a confortable beb and a nice bathroom.
The lounge offers alcoolic and non-alcoolic beverages (all self-serve), apetizers and some hot dishes in the evening. Breakfast was good.
The staff was great .

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Veronique_Kubler, PA to Katharina Schlaipfer, General Manager at Hilton Strasbourg, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for having chosen HILTON Strasbourg and to share your feelings about your last stays. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in Strasbourg. Best regards.
Budapest
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I choose this hotel because of its vicinity to the Council of Europe building. And indeed, it was just few tram stops away, which in the morning saves lots of time and energy. Another adventage is that the Lufthansa bus - Frankfurt-Strasbourg stops just in front of the hotel. That also saves lots of hassle.

As for the room - it was nice and large, clean. Only downsides are: old TVs, and expensive internet access. Breakfast was fine, but again, nothing extra and they could not offer me pure green tea that I usually drink in the morning. Otherwise, the staff, both in restaurant and at the reception, was extremely polite and very helpful.

To sum up - if you came here for a business trip related to CoE or any of other insitutions, I would totally recommend you stay here. You would need to search for good price offers and check whether they include breakfast. If you come to Strasbourg to enjoy the city, you should rather stay somewhere close to the center.

Room Tip: Spend some time searching for good price offers, including breakfast if possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Strasbourg and for having taken the time to share your feelings following you recent stay in our hotel. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests which help us in our constant strive to achieve the highest quality standards. We have well noted your comments about TV, and have the pleasure to inform you that the TVs will be replaced by flat screans in May. We are looking forward to welcoming you again. Sincerely yours.
small town
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Let's begin with the positives: the location is just a short walk from the Tram station Lycee Kleber which will take you to the city center. EU business travellers will appreciate the location near the EU institutions, opposite the Palais de Congres.

There is a free public parking space right next to the Palais de Congres which you can use to park your car if you, too, consider 21 EUR per night a bit steep, in the Hilton parking area.

Now the negatives: I booked an Executive Room via the Hilton website, for a reduced rate, due to the hotel retaurant being renovated and the EU Parliament not being in session. My booking printout clearly said that guests who EITHER have gold or diamond status with Hilton OR have booked an Executive Room were entitled to use the Executive Lounge. For some reason - and I can only speculate - I was denied access to the Lounge despite staying in an Executive Room. When my key card didn't work, I had naively assumed it was just a glitch and in a very friendly manner advised the concierge - Bob - of this. To my amazement, at first he told me I didn't have access to the Lounge because I didn't have Gold/Diamond status. When I pointed out the hotel brochure itself as well as my booking printout clearly said all guests staying in an Exec Room had access to the Lounge, he told me "No, that's not correct. I only upgraded you to the Exec Room to do you a favor, you didn't book an Exec Room." I gave him my booking printout and told him to read it itself, my booking was for Exec Room. He went to his female colleague for help. She then called someone on the phone, and after a few minutes told me that I did NOT book an exec room. That she was at that precise moment holding my booking printout in her hand didn't seem to be of any consequence. She outright lied to my face, saying that I was upgraded out of the goodness of their hearts, and I could only access the Lounge if I paid a "supplement". Mind you, I was polite and friendly the whole time, I don't like to cause trouble, so I gave up. There's no point arguing with people who will lie to your face and ignore the facts staring at them.

I booked the Executive Room SPECIFICALLY because it offers the use of the Executive Lounge. I can only assume that if I, in fact, travelled on business, and presented myself in a black suit and a briefcase, my booking wouldn't have been contested at all. But a mother travelling with her 10-year-old son, for leisure and not on business, that just isn't what this hotel is used to.

Just a minor tibit to Bob the Concierge, one of the first things he said to me when I was checking in was to ask whether I wanted him to recommend a hairdresser in Strasbourg. I don't think I looked to be in dire need of a cut and style, and it comes across a bit as an insult, really. "Welcome to Hilton, Madame, can I recommend a hairdresser?" I bet most women's initial thought would be "What? Does my hair look bad?"

Since I booked this room via the Hilton website, and I am a member of the Hilton Honors, I availed myself of the service the booking site offers - to request extra amenities upon arrival. I requested an additonal down filled pillow, and marked my estimated arrival at 4 PM. I did arrive at 4.05 PM and the room that had been assigned to my reservation wasn't ready. I got another one, on the same floor - 4th floor, the Executive floor - but without the extra down pillow, of course. I assumed the housekeeping would simply bring it over either during the afternoon or the next day at the latest. Never happened. Why ask guests for their requests and then not honor them? I guess for the same reason they not honor their own regulations in regards to the use of the Lounge.

Despite the disappointing arrival, I was determined not to let this color my opinion of the hotel. The room itself was large and had all the amenities it had promised in the booking. It certainly had a TV set, for example. Yes, it was probably 20 years old, tiny and the bulbs were mostly burned out so you got a very grainy, discolored picture. But yes, it was a TV set. Nowadays even 3 star hotels have flat screen TVs, so this old, analog TV was something I had no expected in a Hilton, especially not on the Executive floor.

There was no closet or wardrobe to hang clothes/coats and jackets in, just a metal rod and several wooden hangers. There was a safe - free of charge! - and a minibar with typical jacked up prices, and a large bottle of Evian water next to the hot water kettle. The Evian had a price ticket of 5 EUR. Right next to it was a large leaflet about the importance of staying hydrated.

The bed was very hard and uncomfortable, and the duvet was so thin, it felt as if you were covered by just a folded up sheet. It was also too small for the bed so that when one person moved, the other was pulled with them. I was travelling with my 10 year old, and we certainly didn't have enough blanket between us to sleep comfortably, I can't imagine two average sized adults trying to share the duvet.

There was a desk and a small armchair. The bathroom was nice and looked clean. It had two white robes with matching slippers which was a nice touch.

Unfortunately, the housekeeping wasn't very efficient. They didn't refill used up toiletries in the bathroom and also didn't replace dirty drinking glasses with clean ones, they just took the dirty ones away and left us with nothing to pour our drinks into.

On the 3rd evening, I wanted to draw my son a bath. As the tub started to fill, I noticed a weird pink residuum floating on the water surface. I don't know what it was, but it was gross and made me wonder how well the bath tub got cleaned. I definitely didn't use anything pink on the two evenings before when having a shower so it likely came from the guest before us. Needless to say, I ended up cleaning the tub and then refilling it with water so that my son could take his bath.

I tried to like this hotel but couldn't. If you are a business traveller and your employer pays for your hotel stays, you will appreciate the proximity to the Institutions. If you are a family travelling for fun and don't dress in power suits, look elsewhere.

P.S. Interestingly, the Hilton in Cologne was soooo much better in every way, and they cater to business clientelle as well. They made us welcome and the service was tip top. Hilton Cologne was a disappointment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank schmusimausi73
Veronique_Kubler, PA to Katharina Schlaipfer, General Manager at Hilton Strasbourg, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Thank you for having chosen HILTON Strasbourg and to share your feelings about your last stay. We have well noted your comments. Your booking by web did not give you an Exectutive room with an access to our Lounge, but our staff kindly made it possible at your arrival. Concerning english lanaguage, our Concierge only suggested a restaurant downtown as he usually does with our guests. Anyway, our Front Office manager called you to review those differents points. Sincerely yours.
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed March 27, 2012

After looking at several hotels online, I decided to go with the Hilton Strasbourg. The price was very reasonable 99usd/night WITH breakfast. The breakfast buffet was so large that if you ate a late breakfast it really felt more like a brunch. The food selection was varied and exceptional in all the restaurant areas. The hotel rooms were clean and well maintained. Bathrooms were stocked with quality product as well. The gym area is rather small with apples, distilled water, and large towels provided to guests. There is no swimming pool. I've stayed at this hotel twice, once for a long weekend and nearly two weeks the following time. I highly recommend it. The 99usd/night was a sweet deal. It will be hard to find this price again. However, at least I know what I'm getting when I stay at Hilton Strasbourg and I trust them. Great service and helpful staff make this hotel my home away from home! Note, there is no hotel transportation from the airport. You can either take the train which is right outside the airport OR take a taxi. The taxi will cost a bit, but its more convenient than the train. If you have light bags and you're not freezing in the middle of winter...then, go with the train.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade with a view of the Cathedral. They will put you up high, beautiful view with sun...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Veronique_Kubler, PA to Katharina Schlaipfer, General Manager at Hilton Strasbourg, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Ipoh, Malaysia
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Its the staff that makes or breaks a service based institution. And the staff of Hilton Strasbourg came out top of the tops. Any minor irritations about no flat screen TV, dated decor, far distance from city centre, expensive WiFI when other european hotels are giving it out for free, bare minimum bathroom toiletries area forgotten because of the exemplary of the staff. I come from Asia and we have arguably the most luxurious and sumptous hotel chains.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Strasbourg and for having taken the time to share your feelings following you recent stay in our hotel. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests which help us in our constant strive to achieve the highest quality standards. We have well noted your comments about decoration and TV, and have the pleasure to inform you that the TVs will be replaced by flat screans this year. As you might have noticed it, our hotel is 30 years old and we have started refurbishments. We are looking forward to welcoming you again. Sincerely yours.