“Great beer selection and Flammkuchen, service, hmmm?”

Academie de la Biere
Ranked #207 of 1,449 Restaurants in Strasbourg
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Petite France Nord Ouest
Frankfurt, Germany
“Great beer selection and Flammkuchen, service, hmmm?”
Reviewed October 19, 2011

This little bar / pub tucked away in close to the river has a fantastic selection of Belgian, French and other international beers and serves some of the best Flammkuchen (Tarté Flambe?) I've ever tasted in a relaxed pub atmosphere with a mainly young and laid back clientele.

We were staying in the Ibis Hotel very close to the pub so we managed to frequent it several times during our stay, when heading in or out of the city centre mainly, so we had many chances to sample the ever worsening service. The first time we waited for a long time to get served then when paying got the wrong bill (which was swiftly corrected), the second time we got our drinks before our food which was apparently to do with the new bar staff which also explained our earlier situation. The next time was hassle free however the last time there we managed to get the wrong bill three times, nearly didn't get our beers as they were put on an empty table next to us instead of served to our table and left there feeling rather confused by the experience.

Another little oddity was that after 9PM the prices of beer go up by up to a Euro a glass. No idea why but that's what happens.

If you like good beer and Flammkuchen and don't mind a bit of disorganised service then I can recommend it.

• Visited October 2011

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Groups need not attempt it”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I've been there twice before with one or two other friends/family members. Food and service was always good and loved the pub atmosphere. However, I tried to make a reservation for a group of six and was greatly disappointed. First, no answer from the online reservation system, then I had the hotel concierge call and was told I had reservations. Upon arrival with my group we were shuffled to the basement which smelled like urinal freshner. Fortunately we were then ejected as someone else had reserved the table where we'd been seated. I don't think we could have eaten given the stench. We went on to have a lovely meal elsewhere.

• Visited February 2011
Zurich, Switzerland
“Ideal spot for students”
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The Académie de la Bière - or in English, the Beer Academy - is a pub-like spot in Strasbourg on the island in river Ill, right in the city center. Food includes the traditional Alsacien Tarte Flambée as well as pub food such as burgers with fries. Food is reasonably priced, and there are special offers for students as a tarte flambée along with a 0.3 l beer or a soft drink for 6 or 7 Euro. Furthermore, every third drink for students is for free, something I appreciated very much :). The beer selection is, as the name of the pub suggests, very wide, a paradise for beer lovers. I can definitely recommend it, during the conference I attended with colleagues in Strasbourg we came there nearly every night...

Visited June 2010