“Good, but let down by little things”

Regent Contades, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #29 of 131 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and expected fantastic things based on the website. The hotel lobby is nice and the reception is always manned even through the night, which was useful for my late check-in. Could not fault the fantastic views of my room - the view of the Cathedral and nearby buildings was beautiful, particularly when lit up at night. The reception staff were also exceptionally friendly and accommodating - my need for a later check-out was arranged with no problems or charge and when I needed printing done they were more than happy to oblige, which I was extremely grateful for. Although there is no restaurant at the hotel, the reception staff recommended me the excellent Piano Grill nearby. The hotel is also very well located - it took less than a minute to walk to the nearest tram stop (Gallia) and this stop is on the same tram line as the central station and also the European Court and Council. It was only a few stops away from the central shopping area at Homme de Fer.

I would definitely return to this hotel but there are some problems that make it not quite as perfect as it seems online. Firstly, the hotel is a lot older than the pictures look and I was a little disappointed with the wear and tear in my room (although the view was excellent). There was also no ramp down to the lobby, only stairs, so it wasn't ideal for carrying heavy luggage up and down and there were also stairs in the corridor up to my room that the lift would not reach.

However, the biggest problem is the completely overpriced breakfast - for 21 euros the breakfast would have to be pretty unbelievable, and it just was not anywhere near worth it. The far better option is to go to the boulangerie for breakfast which is opposite the Gallia tram stop where you can get a croissant/pain au chocolat and orange juice for 1.5 euros!
Additionally, there were no tea and coffee facilities in the room which was a let down considering the price of the room.

Best two things about the hotel: 1) The staff really were fantastic and made my stay so much easier by being so helpful in lots of ways, 2) The location and proximity to a very usefully connected tram stop

Room Tip: Not a disaster if you don't get given a room with a view - although my view was fantastic I was...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Poppy0123

Reviewed December 14, 2013

again, I can't agree with most of the other reviews-some people prefer Hilton's, but this was a 4-star boutique hotel and their staff is fantastic. The rooms are smallish but well-laid out, the location is convenient and a short (10 minute) walk to everything-overall great value for the money.

Room Tip: front facing
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Larsed
SoGeHo, Directrice d'exploitation at Regent Contades, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you so much for your warmly message. I am very glad to read that you aprreciated our services. All the Régent Contades team was touched by your nice feedback.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and hope to welcoming you for an other stay.

Sincerely yours
Sylvie ABADIE
Directrice d'exploitation

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I didn't know from the photos that this was an older hotel and was a little disappointed at first. (note... the entrance is down some stairs with no ramp).
I got a very friendly welcome and was happy with that. Sadly, the room I got was dark and smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. I told the guy at the desk that the room was not acceptable. He seemed upset for me, but couldn't offer me anything until the next day. The next day, I was given a new room right away and it was much better (and smelled better). I was able to have this room for my remaining two nights.

The staff: They were all friendly and accommodating. Each time I came back in to get my key, they remembered who I was, and greeted me with a friendly tone. The first night I was overwhelmed with no sleep and a long flight from San Francisco. They recommended a couple of restaurants close by so I wouldn't have to venture out too far.

Bar: The hotel has a well stocked bar and I had no problem getting a glass of Alsace wine to bring to my room.

Breakfast: Breakfast was very good. They had a great selection of foods and drinks.

Location: the hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the Cathedral area.

Alll in all, I was satisfied with the staff, the food and the (second) room. Thank you Regent Contades.

Room Tip: Do not take room 101 if you don't like the smell of cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sallypoet
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The check-in experience was pretty bad since I just got the keys thrown and that's it. Not really enjoyable.

The room was clean, nice, but old. I mean there was a lot of wear and tear in various places, like the carpets, etc. This hotel would definitely need a lifting.

Wi-Fi access requires a password or something, and nobody gave me it at arrival so I was not able to use it.

Breakfast is nice, but a bit expensive.

Otherwise, people were nice and the stay was ok. The hotel is very near the city center so it's easy to walk by foot anywhere.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the first floor are near the breakfast room and it can be very noisy in the morning wh...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Julien D
Reviewed September 14, 2013

This delightful little hotel is well positioned along the river and just a couple of minutes walk to the tram (a bonus as you can catch Route C tram straight from the train station). The room was very spacious and well furnished and had a very large bathroom. Our room overlooked the river. The lift was interesting as it would not go directly to the floor you wanted it to but would eventually get you there :) A lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed 3 nights here on the tail end of our "Eurotrip." It was the best hotel of the bunch. Made the mistake of paying for a taxi from the train station (Gare Central) to the hotel - turns out a much cheaper tram goes right from the station to a stop a block away. The staff was wonderful, all very friendly and helpful with maps, restaurant recommendations, etc. They provide a login to free wifi which worked well. (There is also a computer you can use on the ground floor.) On our last day, we had time to kill before our train, and the staff let us store our bags and were very kind and efficient about it.

My room was a good size, comfortable temperature (with an AC unit you can control), with a window that opened to a beautiful view of the nearby cathedral (different from the larger Notre Dame, which is a short walk away). Hotel staff kept the room very clean and turned the sheets down at night. They also left a small packet of cookies each night which was a nice little touch. The room key is attached to this very heavy metal thing, which is kind of funny. It's an actual key, not the slide in cards you usually see. I love the historical aspect of the hotel, and apart from the key, the rooms are very modern.

Breakfast was included, and I'm SO glad - I've never had such a good continental breakfast. It's on floor 1 (above the ground/reception area). You just walk in and select what you like out of cheeses, meats, breads, dessert breads, toast, cereals, apple sauce, jams, a fresh fruit medley, coffee and at least 4 different juices - oh, and nutella! The staff there is efficient and attentive - quick to replenish empty items.

Location is great - block from the tram, 10 minutes from the botanical gardens, main cathedral, Palais Rohan, many attractions and restaurants, and maybe about 20 minutes from Petit France. Feels safe at night. Not sure about parking as I didn't have a vehicle, but I didn't see a lot. Since it's close but not right in the action, it's actually very quiet.

Can't imagine a better place to stay in Strasbourg!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Katie A
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is well above the typical hotel you may find in France, and much closer to the "old" idea of a proper 4-star hotel.

The reception and other staff offered an excellent service: no-nonsense, helpful and welcoming.

Rooms, again consistent with the notion of a truly, high-quality 4-star hotel.

Great location, without being at the centre of the tourist frenzy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family