“Very Nice & Convenient”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Very Nice & Convenient”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stay: 2 nights in June 2014.

Staff: English-speaking. Very friendly.

Room: Double-of-two-singles bed, on 4th floor. Very quiet for sleep quality. Curtains block out the light very well.
Small desk with ample power-points and chair. Pleasing, modern feel.
Bathroom: Plenty of room, but bath/shower combo (quite a deep bath to step in & out of). Separate toilet.
Amenities: Air-conditioning with climate control, minibar (drinks only), safe, coffee-making facilities.

TV: Medium size Philips LCD TV, with rather clunky menu system to get through.
TV Channels (English): BBC World News, Russia Today.
TV Channels (Sport): Canal+ Sport.

WiFi: Free with my booking. Easy login, worked fine (no blocking).

Breakfast: Good value "all you can eat" buffet, with hot dishes.

Location: Right on the edge of the city, not far from Petite France. Short walk from the railway station.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Jaunt411
VeroniqueSiegel, Directeur général at Best Western Plus Monopole Metropole, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for having taken the time to fill in a survey regading your recent stay in our property.

I am glad to read that you have spent a good time and enjoyed our amenities, service and location. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for a next stay in Strasbourg and stay personnaly at your entire disposal for any question or help I could provide.

Wishing you an enjoyable summer time, I remain with BEST regards,
Veronique Siegel, CEO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We arrived around 14.30 after a 4 hour car journey. The sat nav had a nervous breakdown followed shortly after by my wife after hearing unrepeatable language flowing out of my mouth like the Niagara Falls. (One way streets with roadwork’s)
All we wanted to do was crash out and rest, but as we hadn’t had food since 7 that morning decided to explore a little and get a snack. We came back after a hour to see if we could catch a couple of hours but the air conditioning was making load strange noises. On turning it off thought that would be the end of it. We could also hear a buzzing noise, which was'nt load but extremely annoying when trying to get to sleep. I called reception and the lady told me to turn the air con off which I had already done (it was now 24% in our room on the top floor)
She sent someone to investigate, he told me it was the ventilation for the bathrooms and this would be turned off at 22.00, yes you guessed it, come 10.15 noise still there so I called reception again, this time someone came straight up and said he would turn it off in 15 minutes. It went off later, but as it was quite a warm night needed the air conditioning badly, but this was too noisy to be any use.
After calling down to reception again I was so angry that I just wanted to check out, but they offered another room, after moving all our stuff, we found the new room hadn’t been cleaned, with fresh human excrement still in the toilet. Ok so another call to reception, he came up straight away and said he would move us into the better part of the hotel! I had booked an executive room and was quite surprised by this comment! So at almost midnight we finally got a decent room and some sleep. I asked in the morning if we would get a reduction on the bill, but as this was the third different member of staff at reception, I just couldn’t be bothered to explain it all again.
In conclusion, if we had got the “decent” room to begin with, it would have been a pleasant stay but considering we had given them 5 months’ notice of our booking, wouldn’t have expected to be put into a noisy and dirty room. Pictures attached.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marky_7623
VeroniqueSiegel, Directeur général at Best Western Plus Monopole Metropole, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

I stay personally at your entire disposal and hope that you will offer us the possibility of giving you a better experience for a next stay in our hotel.

Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed June 28, 2014

For a 3 star hotel, this is a very good choice. We needed a hotel near the train station, so I chose this hotel based on reviews. The staff is outstanding...very friendly, helpful, multi-lingual. The room we had was one of the deluxe, I believe. Nice size by European standards, clean and we had a nice view from our window. The beds were not my favorite, but that is a personal opinion. Air-conditioning was good and bathroom, while very stark and plain, was clean and the shower was good. Very quick walk to Petit France or trains. Breakfast buffet was decent sized, but they did not have much that my daughter and I liked (eggs were runny and not much choice of pastry). That would be the only downside for me personally. However, I would definitely stay again if my requirement was to be near the station.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Madam,

Your opinion is important to us and I would like to thank you for your stay and survey regarding your recent stay in our hotel. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the location, your room and our service.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again for a next stay in Strasbourg and wish you a pleasant summer time.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Clean, decently comfortable and ... conveniently located. That's about all this BW can score.

Realized a little late that we did not get the type of room we actually booked and paid. Of course the staff did not admit to it when asked about it but oh well, win some lose some.

The elevator is tiny, have to hold your breath to fit in with your suitcase.

The room seemed recently renovated in that strange, inexplicable hotel fashion that always leaves one wondering what kind of logic goes into decorating and renovating decisions. Some huge ugly painting on one wall right in front of the bed, highlighted by not one but two arched spot lights, while a smallish TV hovered in a corner generating neck pains.

Breakfast was ok.

Valet parking was available, we were told it was the same price whether we park it or the valet. Better him than me, I say.

All in all, a comfortable enough stay, nothing spectacular.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
VeroniqueSiegel, Directeur général at Best Western Plus Monopole Metropole, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Madam, dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor.
Your opinion is very important to us as we all aim to provide always a better customer care.
We feel very sorry that the experience we were trying to deliver was not the best you expect, however I would like to clarify some points.
The room as you describe it is actually an Executive room. As your message is anonymous, I’m unfortunately not able to verify which kind of room type you have booked.
Yes, the elevator is tiny, but this is often the case with old and historical buildings in French cities. Sorry about that.
Finally, we have well noticed that you did not like the way your room was refurbished, and we would like to apologize for that. We inform you that we have about 15 different types of rooms in our house and we hope having the opportunity of welcoming you again to show you some. Just mention it upon reservation.
BEST regards,
LONDON
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This hotel was very well equipped, and the staff were very helpful. I would highly recommend, we were a couple with a small child.
There is a small private underground carpark, available at 13 euro per night, which is worth booking.
The staff were very kind to us and although we had to checkout at 1am, were happy to accomodate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
VeroniqueSiegel, Directeur général at Best Western Plus Monopole Metropole, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for your survey. Your opinion is important to us and we value your feedback. The entire team is doing its best everyday to make our guest's stay enjoyable and they will appreciate your comments, as I do !

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for a next stay in Strasbourg and we remain with BEST regards from Strasbourg,

Llanelli
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We Booked the Monopole Metropole on no less than 4 separate occasions as we were filming for the BBC in Strasbourg... The hotel is pretty much central to the city and close to the train station and shops. There are lots of little streets where you can go for food and coffee and lots of places to sight see. You are warmly greeted by at least 2 reception staff who speak not only English but French and German too...They book you in quickly and efficiently and tell you where to go for your room..The hotel when we stayed there was still being renovated however we got to stay in the newly renovated fourth floor with modern decor but in keeping with the traditional Alsace wooden beams etc.

There is a bar downstairs near to the reception but the prices are quite expensive once you have done the currency conversing from GBP to Euros however there is a nice selection and you are made to feel welcome...

The breakfast was nice with a selection of continental, cold meats, cheeses bread along with Boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon. Very Alsace tasting and really enjoyed..
One of the downsides for me / us is although there is room service for food of an evening the food is cooked off premises so when the food eventually arrives it is tepid a little disappointing as it is such a well run establishment..

There is basement car park which offers a valet parking but if this has filled up quite quickly there is alway a multi story car park which is not all that far away and not all that expensive..

The owner of the hotel Veronique Anton-Siegel we found was always available if there were any problems or just to greet and see how things are going...very very friendly and welcoming..

We will be back! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BoxerGold
Dear Sir,

thank you so much for your nice review and comment. Your confidence and faith during the several stays with us is important to us. We are trying to do our best to make our guest's stay enjoyable and it is a pleasure to read that you appreciate that.

Regarding the room-service, you are right, the room-service menu we had before could not arrive in rooms very warm everytime and we are currently experiencing a new product, which allows our guests to warm-up dishes directly in the room with a steamer. The recent guests who have tried it seem to be satisfied with this new menu and I hope that you will be back and I am looking forward to hearing your feedback!

I stay at your entire disposal for any question or help I could provide and remain with very BEST regards from Strasbourg,

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at this central city hotel for five nights with a group of 23. The hotel is situated on the corner of two streets mid way between the central railway station and the historic central island. It is a very short walk to the centre with plenty of shops, cafes, restaurants etc nearby.
We were made very welcome and all the rooms were well modernised. the staff were welcoming and the breakfasts offered plenty of choice. Our room was particularly spacious with a couch which could be made up into an extra bed.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a side street and is double glazed but if you sleep with the windows open there may...