“Great location, easy to get around town”

Mercure Strasbourg Palais des Congres
Ranked #32 of 129 Hotels in Strasbourg
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great location, easy to get around town”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed at this location in April, really like the location because its just far enough from the city but still easy to get around. We rented bicycles from the hotel for 9 Euros per day, I think you can get bikes even cheapier in town but we liked the idea of having them available to us directly from the hotel. Their is bus transportation within a very short walk from the hotel, so if you are not into biking then this would be a great alternative.
We did not eat bfast at the hotel, we instead decided to go into town to find some bfast places.
The staff was very helpful and friendly, we most likely would stay here again if we were to visit Strasbourg again.

Room Tip: Check your AC in the room before unpacking, ours did not work very well so we had to open the window...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maddy456

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Amman
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed here for 3 days. The staff were helpful. The rooms were not good. They were old and not very clean. I had a problem with heating. I could not control it. The first night was too warm to sleep.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BaiaAmman
Hawaii
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stay in hotels many nights per year (>100). I would say I have experience. So when I stopped in Strasbourg for a night and decided to stay at the Holiday Inn, I received an unexpected surprise: payable internet. I discussed this with the hotel staff (reception) and they agreed with me that although in France other Holiday Inn hotels have free internet, this one doesn't. Why, I asked? We don't know. Well, I do; the management of this particular hotels wants the money (Euro10/day or Euro4.50/hour).
I think that in 2012, this hotel should be just like every other hotel and offer free internet. It's what makes it easy for us to stay in touch.
It's location is not very useful either, as there is nothing nearby and one needs a taxi ride into the town, which then begs the question: Why is this called Strasbourg Center? Shouldn't be called Strasbourg off-center?
Although the hotel amenities are nice and so are the rooms, its location and chargeable wi-fi makes this hotel unattractive for me. I therefore wouldn't recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for top floors.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank petervee
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Stayed here one night in December 2011 with my husband, but this hotel would be a great choice for anyone including business travelers and families and solo travelers of all ages.
Checked in easily and quickly, and front desk staff greeted me pleasantly and smiled. Nice way to start.
Although I was only here one night, I could have stayed two weeks easily and comfortably. I booked a normal standard room and was given a large comfortable room with two queen beds! Sweet! The decor was pleasant, in beige and white, very European, not that tacky green like in the USA. Everything was clean and spotless, and my allergies to feathers and smoke were easily taken care of with nice anti-allergic pillows and a feather-less comforter on the bed. The room had plenty of space, a nice big bathroom, hairdryer, nice toiletries and fluffy towels, and the room came with a large flat screen television, plus coffee maker and tea, minibar, good work desk with lamp, comfy couch, and everything you need for a pleasant stay. I was put on a non-smoking floor which was great. I had arrived for check in early, but did not have to wait, my room was ready which was so nice!
Normally for Strasbourg, I would stay at the Hilton nearby, since I am a gold honors member, but the Hilton was fully booked out due to the Christmas markets nearby, so after reading a few reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked this Holiday Inn. To be honest, sometimes a Holiday Inn in the USA can be only a 50% shot of being okay, and usually they do not compare to other hotels like Hilton and Sheraton. However this hotel completely exceeded my expectations in all areas, especially cleanliness and room size. It was just as good, if not better than the Hilton, and probably costs less than the Hilton too. Plus the location is almost the same as the Hilton. its on the same block, and close to the tram. The hotel also has a nice big parking lot, and it's easy to get to. I would definitely make the Holiday Inn one of my top choices of hotels to stay in for Strasbourg!

Room Tip: Great Hotel, Holiday Inn Strasbourg would be
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iamaworldtraveler
wiltshire
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn in Strasbourg city centre and it proved to be perfectly placed and perfect inside too... The rooms afforded good views, were large, well equipped and clean. My husband and I were travelling with our grown up daughter to visit the christmas market so it was a low budget trip. We had one room but it had two double beds so everyone was comfortable. Hotel receptionists were exceedingly polite and helpful. The hotel is a short walking distance to a tram station (Kleber) making journeys into the city centre or to the european parliament very easy.
Thanks to all the staff!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Zurich
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a really nice hotel and is conveniently located 3 tram stops from the cathedral/central area, you can buy tickets at the hotel. The reception folk were very friendly and helpful in pointing us where to go.

The room was nice and large, the beds were very comfortable with good quality pillows. The bathroom looks like it was recently renovated and was very spacious, but there was no plug (razor only). The room was really hot when we entered so we turned down the heat, didn't have much effect so we opened the window as much as we could (about 2 inches). The room was a bit expensive but we were traveling during the first weekend of the Christmas market, but all of the old town hotels were either full or even more expensive.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
England
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed as family of 4 in one room. Kids enjoyed the swimming pool. Generally comfortable stay, bed fine, bedroom and bathroom clean. showers worked well. Location is same block as the hilton but cheaper than staying at the hilton if you are a family as you can have a room with 2 double beds(fitting family of 4 rather than taking 2 rooms as we had done in the hilton earlier.) tram to centre of old town a block away or you can walk about 20 minutes. easy walk to exposition centre and european parliament. staff is good. free parking (the hilton wanted to charge 19 Euros/day.)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family