“a feast!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2013

luckily i got here early on a Friday night as it was soon packed with what looked/sounded like a mixture of locals and other tourists like me. on a rainy night the welcome was warm and the inside of the winstub was cosy. the tables, as in many winstubs, are quite close together, which is nice because you get to chat with your neighbours. the 'patron' offered to help me and other guests. with translating rhe menu, so if you don't speak French, don't be put off, although I managed to understand it well enough to order. he was also helpful in suggesting wines to go with courses. although feeling a bit guilty about it, i started with some foie gras, being a speciality, and very tasty it was indeed. then, being in Alsace, I had to try the choucroute garnie, and my! what a feast! the garnish being in the firm of various pork products, sausages, etc hiding the sauerkraut. and then although not exactly in the Black Forest, I was near enough to have for desert a slice of the eponymous gateau which was quite different from the dry retro version. i did intend to go back but i ran out of nights!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our party of five had a very good meal recently at this traditional Alsatian restaurant. We began the meal with a tarte a l'oignon, and for the main course, most of our group had the choucroute garnie, and I had salmon, all cooked to perfection. I highly recommend this for a taste of Alsace, at least once during one's stay in the area. The ambiance was pleasant with traditional decor yet devoid of "kitsch".

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Alsatian food, great wine, nice ambiance, nice people. I really liked it. I had steak tartare, though (have been eating too much pork). Dessert was GREAT (rice pudding with salted caramel: YUM).

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Recommended to us by a local wine producer, the packed restaurant full of locals on a Thursday evening spoke volumes. Local specialties abound with sauerkraut, pigs ears and sausages 'made from every bit of the pig's head except brain'. Delicious onion tart for starters and kidneys were a hit. A very good selection of wines which if not available were replaced by competitively priced bottles suggested by the owner.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We decided to go where the locals go. This is the place. It was crowded, noisy, and full of glee. The wait staff works hard to keep everyone satisfied and for the most part, I think they succeed. The owner is out on the floor helping out and mingling. He said he has run this place for over thirty years and it's busy like it was that night all of the time. The wine list is not up to date. He was out of the wine we ordered and from looking at the age of the list, I would say he probably doesn't have much of what is on the list. But he did a substitution for a reasonable price. I think he probably made out pretty well on the deal. But it's all part of the experience. The food was good, but not outstanding. We had two beef dinners. The T-bone was chewy and not cooked as well as we would have liked for medium. So specify if ordering the steak. The other dish, which I honestly don't remember the French name of, was not a very good cut of meat; too much gristle. I would go back for the fun atmosphere and try something besides the beef.