“..... choucroute surprise in Strasbourg old town....”
Review of Maison Kammerzell

Maison Kammerzell
Ranked #119 of 1,523 Restaurants in Strasbourg
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mairie Sud
Reviewed May 7, 2013

...during our visit to Strasbourg we were looking around the cathedral area on the way back to the hotel early evening and saw the restaurant promoting a real surprise - "chocroute au trois poissons". Turns out this is the house speciality created by the head chef some years ago. We went in without a reservation (19.00 ...ish on Saturday evening) but were pleased to be found a table. The dining area was on the second floor up what can only be described as a challenging staircase, there was a thick rope handrail mainly used by the staff to descend down like an extra on "Pirates of the Caribbean", on the way out we took the lift more user friendly but far less atmospheric.

As entrees we took the snails and the salmon, but both took the choucroute surprise as the main, on the evening in question the trio of fish were Lotte (Monk fish), salmon, smoked haddock. The friendly waiter explained that we should proceed with he Lotte and then finish with the smoked haddock as this would enhance the taste as we went from the lightest to the most flavoured fish. It was very good indeed and for me far more enjoyable to the stalwart choucroute based on meats, this version was also available by the way and looked equally good quality. Avoided the equally tempting deserts - just - as the helpings of the two courses we did take were plenty. The offer of the day was two choucroute for the price of one which added to the surprise of this truly great food in a grand setting.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,112)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a traditional rustic restaurant in an old building - just like the pictures suggest. It spans over 3 floors and comprises of small separated dining areas / rooms with tables quite close to each other - so all in all the place feels a bit crowded and cluttered. Also, there are no windows as such - the windows are thick stained glass old windows - while pretty to look at they don't let any light in and there is no view - hence the feel of the place is a bit stuffy, dark and closed. If you like open airy interiors - you will not like this one.
We were seated on one of the smallish dining rooms/enclaves comprising of 4 tables - surrounded by two large families with children and an elderly couple - no music in the room, no air, no view, it felt more as though we entered someone's living room and shared our dinner with the other people we did not know in one enclosed room. Needless to say, you are 'part' of the conversations of the other diners in your 'room', you hear everything (incl children crying etc). All a bit strange to my my taste. If you like privacy - either ask for some other seating arrangement or skip this place all together. Personally, I was not really enjoying this enclosed living room with strangers dining experience.
Service was OK - efficient, can't fault it.
The wine was a highlight - we were recommended a regional Riesling - delicious. It went well with our dish - we went for the traditional Alsacean sauerkraut with salmon main dish.
Warning: as these dishes are the staple here, they came out within 3 minutes of ordering, we barely tasted our first glass of wine and the plates were delivered. A bit factory line style, in my opinion. The dish was good, although it was exactly what you imagine it would be - plate of warm sauerkraut with slabs of warm (not grilled) salmon on it - nothing more, nothing less. No garnish, no potatoes, no other ingredients. It was fine but I think I enjoyed it merely for the novelty factor - otherwise I can;t say I was wowed. The bread rolls they came free with the meal were hard (day old?) - not a fan. We skipped desert as were we getting a bit antsy in our dining 'enclave' with no air and light and as one of the small children at the next table was crying unstoppably at that point. Overall - an average experience. I don't think we would go back.

1  Thank Ivana V
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Can be quite popular so could only get a table at 9.15pm without a reservation. Good menu but as I was stuffed I just had an entree. Risotto with scallops and prawns was yummy but not out of the world. Interior of hotel was the best bit of the restaurant. Very historical. Recommend eating there at least once.

1  Thank SinyeeKoh
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was highly recommended but some of our party were disappointed. I had sauer kraut and salmon as it is their speciality and I was curious because I couldn't imagine the combination but it was delightful. A couple of people in our party had duck which they said was very average. Great setting but rather over priced and a bit too in love with itself. I would go back for the salmon and 'chou croute' though!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

It is difficult for us to find a restaurant in the Guide Michelin in Strasbourg. Unfortuately, we were so disappointed with the quality of food. The salade with leeks was recommended by the waitress but it was nothing special. The Tuna fish was far too cooked and so dry, what a waste of the good products. I should say the dessert "Cheese tarte" was good. It is absoultely not a fine dinning restaurant.