“The epitome of elegance & sophistication in a quaint little dining room”

La cocotte de grand-mere
Ranked #13 of 284 Restaurants in Colmar
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Colorado
“The epitome of elegance & sophistication in a quaint little dining room”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This restaurant is a true gem. It is definitely one of the top 5 restaurants in Colmar. The white washed walls and beams and white stonework is elegant and understated. The room has only about a dozen tables and all are adorned with white tablecloths and candlelit. It feels casually sophisticated. You walk in and think......perfect!

Now to the best part the food, flawless. There were about 5 starters and 6 main courses you could chose from on the particular night we dined. I believe that their menu is seasonal and changes quite frequently. The portions are on the larger side. I had the scallop appetizer, 3 large, perfectly seared scallops on a bed of fennel salad. My husband had the duck salad he loved.....both salads less than $10 euros! He had a perfectly grilled steak as his main and I had the braised monkfish osso bucco style, best fish dish I had on my trip. There was not a main dish that cost more than $22 euros........excellent value, best price to value restaurant on our entire trip. They also were serving an amazing looking lamb shank. Dessert fantastic as well.

Their wine list is incredible, the delicious local Riesling was the best by the glass Riesling I had in Alsace and was only $3 a glass. They had an amazing 06 French wine available by 1/2 litre. Total cost of dinner was less than $100 euros........3 glasses white, beer, 1/2 litre red, 2 appetizers, 2 mains, dessert.

I would say this restaurant is among the best in Colmar alongside 3 others we dined at, the much more pricey Jy's and L'Atelier du Peintre. Restaurant du Marche would be my 4th choice spot, go you won't be disappointed, make sure to have a reservation.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Travelkicks2017

• Korean first
Brookston
“I wanted to love it!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Saved this restaurant for our last romantic meal in Colmar. Nice waitress. Food was disappointing. Less than inspiring salads and very tough grilled steak. I guess everyone has an off night!

• Visited August 2013
Bedfordshire, UK
“Very good dinner with friendly staff”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Run by two guys, one front of house and one cooking, this was a good find and we had a very enjoyable dinner. The menu is limited because everything is freshly prepared but there was sufficient choice. Everything was well presented and perfectly cooked.

We didn't book in advance but it is fairly small and it seems they only do a certain number of covers because we saw people turned away although there were still some available tables. Also check their opening times.

• Visited July 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“An excellent dinner”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had reserved this restaurant, like all the others we visited, on the strength of the trip advisor reviews. We were not disappointed. On arrival we were shown to a table inside, under an air conditioning vent (not intrusive), as clearly the young man we dealt with, rightly believed the british couldn't easily cope with the heat and would want a cool corner in which to dine. The quality of the surroundings was simple but perfect. The food was cooked to order and was excellent in presentation and taste. The wine list was modest and perfectly adequate, at reasonable prices. The bill when it came, was no more than what we would expect from an average city centre restaurant in Edinburgh. We would thoroughly recommend La Cocotte to others, but would certainly suggest making a reservation.

Visited June 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“Delicious & Fresh in every way!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We are in Colmar for five days and after a couple of regional cuisine meals we were searching for fresh, clean and more simple food that was also top quality.
This restaurant was perfect. Menu is short because all ingredients are very fresh and everything is a la carte so you can order as much as you want and are not stuck in deciding between multiple menus offering minor differences (the French take the whole menu offering experience to almost annoying levels if choice and price options!!)
We were not terribly hungry and opted for plats principals of grilled fish (Bar) and Rumpsteak. Both very fresh and perfectly cooked to our taste. The vegetable sides were very fresh and flavorful. My only criticism is that the pesto served with my fish was a bit on the salty side for me.
Philippe is the fellow who runs the front of the restaurant and waits on all tables and is also the sommelier. He is friendly, knowledgeable and happy to speak some English. We had a lovely Beaune 1er Cru which made the meal a bit more expensive but worth it to us. The quality price rapport for the food is excellent and there are many reasonably priced wines on the list.
Since we had more wine to finish, we shared a cheese plate instead of dessert and the 3 cheeses served were excellent and at the right temperature. The portion sizes are not too big so if you have a hearty appetite don't hesitate to take one of the tempting entrees. I would have loved the house foie gras (a bargain at 11 euros) but knew it would be too much to eat for me!! Perhaps i will try it tomorrow night when we return for our last dinner in Colmar. If you are looking for a fresh taste and quality, do not hesitate to book at La cocotte de grand-mere. It is a small restaurant and Philippe turned away many walk ins so be sure to reserve ahead!!

• Visited April 2013