“Best part of our Alsace trip”

Colmar Optional Tour - L.C.A. Toptour
Ranked #4 of 12 Tours in Colmar
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our tour through Alsace with Jean Claude was the best part of our trip. I booked it because I couldn't find any other tour that did the wine route and because of the positive reviews. Jean Claude exceeded my expectations. He was always very helpful, providing great advice and knowledge of everything Alsace. I have worked in the wine industry for some time and Jean Claude is the real deal when it comes to tasting. He really understands the region's viticulture such as soil composition and pruning techniques, as well as gives excellent explanations of the wines in terms both novices and experts can understand. He's clearly proud of his Alsacian heritage and is very knowledgeable about its history, people, culture, food, everything. You can ask him anything or just listen to him talk. His way of speaking is very relaxing to listen to, by the way. And he's very funny! I couldn't ask for a better guide, and I thank him very much for providing such a great service to people like me who don't drive (or don't want to drive) and still want to see the most beautiful parts of Alsace, as well as taste its wines.

2  Thank dgfvsxz

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed the van tour from Colmar to Turckheim, Keysersberg and Equisheim. Jean Claude provided great facts about the production of the wines of Alsace as well as places to see in each of the three towns we visited when he dropped us off. A photo copy of the town streets with the routes he suggested would have been helpful, although you can't get lost, it was hard to remember all he suggested seeing at the drop off point. A good way to get to the small, picturesque villages without renting a car.

2  Thank Parkertraveler
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I have figured out through traveling frequently that we do better when someone is showing us around. We however do not like a huge touristy tour group, but a more personal experience.

Jean Claude with LCA tours was the perfect solution. We lucked out and got an private tour during our recent trip to colmar. We took the #1 half day tour. We were driven to cute little towns near colmar, given the map and info, a route we should take to explore and a time to be back. EXACTLY what we wanted. We even chose to do an additional wine tasting. Jean Claude set us up with an extensive private wine tasting with a local vineyard.

Between the tours he drove us to the top of a vineyard hill for a great photo op, showed us the grapes and talked about the different kinds, took through small vineyard streets that were neat to see and shared a lot of knowledge and conversation about the area.

Overall, no, it was not a structured tourist "knight watchmen" tour, but a great look into the area with some private romantic time with my husbadn---without us fighting about which street to turn. Jean Claude even wrote down local dishes to try and recommended restaurants to try the local cuisine.

3  Thank Jill M
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was a half day tour and most enjoyable it was due to very knowledgeable driver whose father was in the wine trade so none of the 'read it up over the weekend' descriptions. Did the castle tour wine tasting but sure all good. Obscure place to pay - its a large building on the left of the station as you walk towards it.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Jean Claude Werner was out tour guide for the four hour tour. We visited the HAUT-KOENIGSBOURH CASTLE that was an outstanding original and renovated castle. The Wine Tour also took us to the towns of RIQUEWIHR and RIBEAUVILLE where we did a wine tasting from some of the locally grown grapes. We also toured the vineyards and the quaint town.

Jean Claude was an excellent tour guide providing a lot of local color and insights. He is bilingual and provided narrative to two Japanese people on our tour. The van is a small modern van and only carries 7 passengers.

I would highly recommend Jean Claude for this tour that starts in Colmar near the train station and the Best Western Grand Hotel.

4  Thank Grouper57