“Far from the sea, great seafood”
Review of Aux Trois Poissons

Aux Trois Poissons
Ranked #15 of 286 Restaurants in Colmar
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Far from the sea, great seafood”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Spanking new interior, bright and clean (the place burned down not long ago and has been handsomely redone). Attentive service and a perfectly paced meal. All dishes were excellent: for starters, quenelles de brochet and cassoulet d'escargots (not seafood, but had to try it), followed by aile de raie and some beautiful poached scallops. A dessert of various sorbets drowning in Calvados was a refreshing treat. Decent wine list with some local stuff. Reservations recommended, but grovelling works too...

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank NinthCircle

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
“totally awesome!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Loved, loved, loved this place.
It is located in the Little Venice part of Colmar, slightly out of the very touristy crowded streets but still very central. We ate inside. The decor is fresh and clean, not tacky/cluttered as in some other restaurants trying too hard to look "local."
Service was prompt and food was delicious and very fresh.
I had: the fish soup (a bit too salty, but very tasty) and the seared tuna appetizer with seaweed salad. The appetizer was certainly large enough to be an entree.
My husband had the grilled sardines appetizer (so tasty and fresh, not too 'fishy' as some sardine dishes can be) and the monkfish medallions on pea puree. Everything was just top notch.
We shared the heavenly "floating island" meringue/creme anglaise dessert.
The only thing I'd caution against is ordering "tee citron" - for EUR 3.20 I basically got a cup of hot water with one slice of lemon floating in it. In Belgium, where I now live, they tend to put a huge amount of lemon in and I was expecting something like that.
Our total for the above plus wine and espresso for my husband came to EUR 83. Totally worth it in my mind.
Good service too, and one of the servers spoke English.
If you want a break from meat/cheese/cream/more meat everywhere else in Colmar, I can't imagine you can do better than this.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank giulietta429
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect service, perfect food”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Most people don't think of seafood when they think of Alsace. Aux Trois Poissons will change your mind. We selected this restaurant as our "last dinner in France" spot and we were very glad we did. It's a white-tablecloth establishment with gracious service and excellent food. I had moules marinieres for my starter and they were cooked flawlessly. And as with any respectable Alsatian restaurant, their choucroute was fantastic.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank MarieJ1007
San Francisco, California
“Unexpected Pleasure, but”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I didn't expect a seafood restaurant in the Alsatian foothills, but chalk that up to north american naivete. Colmar has been renowned for its seafood for centuries. Friends of ours had visited here the month before and were so impressed they gave the chef a standing ovation. You need a reservation for this restaurant, as it is very well known. Atmosphere was a bit cramped. I would definitely recommend it but also think it was expensive and a bit pretentious.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Charles P
“Closed for now at least - burned. :(”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Walked by this restaurant on the way to another that the woman at the desk in our hotel suggested, and planned to go here tomorrow night. Sadly, it caught on fire and we aren't experts, so I don't know if it will need to be leveled or can be repaired. All of the roof but some cross beams are gone and we could tell most of the inside was burned too. No idea what the owners will do, we stood for a bit in awe with a decent sized crowd of locals who had just discovered the damage as well. I think it had just happened yesterday or this morning. :(

4 Thank Tspoon79