“A good Alsatian restaurant”
Review of Restaurant Pfeffel

Restaurant Pfeffel
Ranked #60 of 293 Restaurants in Colmar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a restaurant in a unique and typical building in Colmar. We found this restaurant accidentally. But the foods and service are good, the boss is very friendly. They could recommend which wine is suitable for you. We ordered fried duck leg with potatoes and salad, and also "snail pastry" (minced beef rolled in a pastry, so it's like snail). It's also practical when you come with baby, they have good baby chair. The toilets are very clean and big, have also baby changing table.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Pfeffel

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We visited this restaurant on the first warm day of spring, 2013 - Saturday, April 13, for lunch. It was very pleasant sitting outdoors on the terrace, enjoying the sun, and watching the crows nesting in the nearby trees. This restaurant seems to be a magnet for tour groups - we could not believe the numbers who showed up, and who were accommodated. The servers worked hard, and we were not left unattended. Regional specialities are featured, along with the wines of Colmar, fine spirits and beer. I had an appetizer only - a plate of crudités, which turned out to be a selection of salads, most of which I enjoyed. My partner ordered the tarte flambée, and found it to be delicious. This is not fine dining, but it's food that is good in a convenient spot in Colmar, right next to Musée d'Unterlinden. It's open from 11 a.m. to midnight.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We ate here on our first night in Colmar when we visited for my 30th in August. I was a bit worried that it would be an overpriced tourist trap as it's in the town centre and right next to the Unterlinden Museum but we were pleasantly surprised.

We sat outside next to a big tree where the local bats all sit in the tree and are then chased out by the local birds. It was a bit wierd, like something out of Hitchcock, but we overheard the waiter telling a couple it happens every evening. Don't worry though they have big parasols to protect you from any bird poop!

The service was attentive, they spoke English, and the food was both very tasty and not hugely expensive. I had a dish of chicken braised in the local wine with spaetzle dumplings which was very nice but the star of the show was my girlfriends dessert - a plum and fig compote served with gingerbread and cinnamon ice cream... amazing... just amazing.

Don't let the look of the place put you off, it's very good.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Recommended by our hotel (Masion de Tetes) we were very fortunate to get in as the restaurant was very popular - mainly by French speaking clients. Two nights - 1st night we were so impressed with the friendliness of the English speaking staff, quality and price of the excellent French/Alsace food we booked for a second night - following an intervening evening is a highly rated and extremely formal restaurant we couldn't wait to return to the friendliness and informality mixed with great food and local wines for very reasonable prices. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Vada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The first time in my life, I leave a restaurant ! I'm french and I've never seen anything like it in France or anywhere else I've been in the world !

After being seated, me and 2 friends spent 15 minutes trying to get the attention of the waitress to get the menus with no success.
This is where it gets funny : We finally got noticed by a waiter who seemed shocked that we needed the menus to order our lunch ! No, I'm not joking ! This waiter was actually telling us that he could not guess we needed menus and he was going on and on about it.
The more he was talking, the more my mood was changing and I think it's when he said "If you don't tell me before that you need menus, I can not guess it, alright ?" that we decided to leave.

You take all of this, add an arrogant/rude tone ("you stupid tourist" kind of tone) and you get the picture of the service you'll get if you go to this place !

This restaurant and its appalling service surely is not doing credit to Colmar : STAY OUT OF THIS PLACE !

2  Thank KiwiRomain