“Second time is a charm...”
Review of l'Arpege

l'Arpege
Ranked #6 of 296 Restaurants in Colmar
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I visited this restaurant a few months ago on a beautiful sunny day. We ate on the quaint patio and the meal was lovely. We returned last week and wanted to try a different restaurant but they were full. However, sometimes things happen for a reason. I really enjoyed the first meal I tried there but this time it was amazing!!! I had duck breast cooked to perfection. They made a beet puree which was so refreshing. The lentil salad was one of the most unique dishes I have ever tried and I want to figure out the recipe, it was that good. My husband had a meat tart that he totally enjoyed. The desserts were both amazing - his a fruit crumble and mine the panna cotta.
I spoke with the owner who told me they go to the market every day to see what is the freshest. They take those ingredients and create a daily menu. They do not have a standard menu. They have a wonderful vegetarian choice with each meal and I am going to try that the next time I return. The food is presented in a beautiful manner. The restaurant is quaint and cozy. The staff is exceptional! I would highly recommend this place to anyone who visits Colmar!

1  Thank beargoad

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Unbelievably charming little place which sets itself apart from the more traditional Alsatian-style places but still keeps true to authentic French, seasonal food. This is not the place to go for gigantic portions at cheap prices: I am sure L'Arpege will be steep for some, but I would say this is a case of "you get what you pay for," which is good, honest market-fresh organic food and excellent service.

A small and very well thought-out menu with something for everyone, including vegetarians, and some really nice touches (beetroot "ketchup" with the fries). Look forward to visiting in summer when the garden is open.

The Alexandre Sattler photographs on display -- many from Southeast Asia and some from Eastern Europe and Ukraine -- were also a nice touch, I made a point to look them up elsewhere. Reservations are probably indispensable -- it's a small place.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

What a treat, and considerably better than the Michelin one-star where we ate for dinner. It's a comfortable restaurant with unpretentious service. Everything was fresh and well made, down to the potatoes that came with the faux fillet.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Staff are very charming and food is very good quality. We had the vegetarian starter to share and found it just perfect. Mains are served with the same accompaniments and also very good.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently had dinner here and were able to eat outside without having to breathe in anyone's cigarette smoke. Although smoking is certainly permitted outside in restaurants in Colmar, this restaurant did not even have ashtrays on the tables and no one seemed to be asking for one. There are many delicious drinks to choose from, including wines, juices, and teas/tisanes. (I finished my meal with a large pot of tisane and when I say large, I mean huge! Just what I wanted.)
I had the gazpacho, the salmon tartare, and the mixed greens salad.
My husband had the tzatziki and a chicken leg stuffed with sausage. Gazpacho was very refreshing but a bit underseasoned. The salad was heavenly - large, very fresh, with julienned carrots and raw beets and a fantastic balsamic-based dressing (and not a gross puddle of it either, just enough - not too much). The salmon tartare, likewise, was fresh and very delicious. It was served with sauteed mixed veggies, couscous, and this amazing beet and almond smoothie in a shotglass thing that was just unreal. I have to try to recreate it at home. My husband's food - which I also sampled - was fresh and delicious. We did not have room for desserts, but several that were carried past us looked amazing! Gorgeous, small servings of individual things - something you'd see in a fancy restaurant in NYC.
I could return to this place over and over and try something new every time. Several other meat and fish dishes and appetizers sounded so good!
There was live music during dinner also - a gentleman named Serge. He played a very interesting Asian looking drum - I am not sure what it is called but it was very relaxing.
Service was prompt and very friendly. English is spoken.
The total was around EUR 80, which I did not think was expensive at all for this quality and quantity of food/the overall experience (and particularly given that we both also had wine).