“very friendly and great food”
Review of l'Arpege

l'Arpege
Ranked #6 of 293 Restaurants in Colmar
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Staff are very charming and food is very good quality. We had the vegetarian starter to share and found it just perfect. Mains are served with the same accompaniments and also very good.

There are newer reviews for l'Arpege

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently had dinner here and were able to eat outside without having to breathe in anyone's cigarette smoke. Although smoking is certainly permitted outside in restaurants in Colmar, this restaurant did not even have ashtrays on the tables and no one seemed to be asking for one. There are many delicious drinks to choose from, including wines, juices, and teas/tisanes. (I finished my meal with a large pot of tisane and when I say large, I mean huge! Just what I wanted.)
I had the gazpacho, the salmon tartare, and the mixed greens salad.
My husband had the tzatziki and a chicken leg stuffed with sausage. Gazpacho was very refreshing but a bit underseasoned. The salad was heavenly - large, very fresh, with julienned carrots and raw beets and a fantastic balsamic-based dressing (and not a gross puddle of it either, just enough - not too much). The salmon tartare, likewise, was fresh and very delicious. It was served with sauteed mixed veggies, couscous, and this amazing beet and almond smoothie in a shotglass thing that was just unreal. I have to try to recreate it at home. My husband's food - which I also sampled - was fresh and delicious. We did not have room for desserts, but several that were carried past us looked amazing! Gorgeous, small servings of individual things - something you'd see in a fancy restaurant in NYC.
I could return to this place over and over and try something new every time. Several other meat and fish dishes and appetizers sounded so good!
There was live music during dinner also - a gentleman named Serge. He played a very interesting Asian looking drum - I am not sure what it is called but it was very relaxing.
Service was prompt and very friendly. English is spoken.
The total was around EUR 80, which I did not think was expensive at all for this quality and quantity of food/the overall experience (and particularly given that we both also had wine).

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to this place but it was full, so we booked for Saturday evening, and went with high hopes (comments on tripadvisor were all 5 star). The food was OK, but nothing special, the wine was highly overpriced (20 euro for 1/2 liter of plain wine is exagerrated, even for bio-wine). Actually, the 87 euro we paid for a not so special dinner was too much, and it left a bit of a bitt taste. But if you believe in bio, and are prepared to pay extra (more than a bit), you might find it a place to visit whenever you're in Colmar. We're not going back, there are other places to go to

2  Thank janneman55
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This restaurant is located in the center of Colmar, with a lovable backyard that's its strongest point. Owner is very friendly and menu, not large, is Bio oriented. Reasonable price/quality (25-35 €/pp). Warmly Suggested!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant while looking for a place to eat lunch. Impossible to spot the number of guests from the outside, we were drawn in by the promise of local and sustainable ingredients, and the attractive price (a tree-course lunch menu for around the price of a gin-tonic in Bern).
Glad to see that the charming garden terrace was almost filled with mainly locals, we got the last free table. The staff seemed to be genuinely kind and interested. The food was overall very satisfying, with original yet subtle touches to classic ideas. As to expect from a restaurant that offers local products , some or the vegetables on our plate were unrecognisable or had a different colour than we were used to, so there were lots of new things to try.
The only point of criticism is that the restaurant offered salmon as a starter, while it is highly unlikely that Colmar, situated in the centre of the continent, has access to wild, biological or even locally farmed salmon.
Yet, overall experience was more than satisfying, and we would definitely go back.