“Good local Alsatian food”
Review of Winstub Flory

Winstub Flory
Ranked #129 of 296 Restaurants in Colmar
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We had a very nice meal here, Charcroutte garnie and Baekeoffe, the food tasted good and both dishes were hot. The waitress brought a hot plate and placed the plates onto it to keep warm and then when the food was ready put theBaekeoffe onto the hot plate. The food was very filling. The service was very good and the ambiance too. We reserved a table, as some restaurants were fully booked.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

We can recommend this typical Alsacian winstub.
The plates were full of very good local specialities. We didn't manage to eat all!
Furthermore, the people (holder and waitress) are very friendly.

1  Thank Crazyphilou
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We are very experienced patrons in restaurants around France and have always had good experienced.
Here however, the indifference displayed by the staff was so bad we had to walk out partway through the meal.
My dish, a traditional ham and sauerkraut dish was only partially warmed up meaning it had been chilled then microwaved so the meat was only warm on the outside.
When I pointed this out the plate was sidled away and returned 10 minutes later without even a word of apology or explanation and I commented then to my wife that it seemed to be the norm for this to happen.
Then when we tried to order desert the waitress was very impolite as we asked to explain a dish and when I explained that we were from Australia and that some of the terms on the carte were unfamiliar she said "well you Australians are just like the English because you have the same Queen"
Well we got up and went to pay wirhout taking our dessert explaining to the girl that we have never been so rudely spoken to anywhere in the world before and she just shrugged her shoulders and that was that.
Some other comments regarding the attitudes of the staff are mentioned here so perhaps it would be a good idea not to visit unless you want cold food along with very cold service.

5  Thank OzGronk
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This restaurant is located behind the main street like a hidden gems. We were recomended by the hotel receptionist during our visit in Colmar due to it's locally famous. Walked in the restaurant, the first image came into your eye was the low ceilings and wooden beams above. Plus all the deco was very old school like the extra size wooden pastry roller hanging, beautiful window glazed, fabulous made glassworks for candle sit and lamp, softly wall painting and drawing, wooden sturdy wooden table and chair with cut out heart, brilliant dim light. I just love the deco so much made me feel that I was actually walked into a film background in 16th century.

Apart from the deco, the services were kind of relax and lack of customer care. I have no idea whether this supposed is the way to be served in France as so far, I've got received different services from different Europe. The waitress she is not rude but if she can have smiley face that would made her look even more friendlier. Another waiter was doing a lot of task in the same time as we were waiting our meal. We saw his hand had this liquid toilet cleaner bottle, and after few second he was sent us the meal. Wicked !

So, we got out meal after a short observation about 30 mins, I had the 'Baeckeoff' (bake-off) which is the local speciality like a Alsatian meat casserole cook with dry wine and served with boiled potato. Honestly, the casserole pot was such a wrong impression as it was quite big but inside the pot I only had a small piece of lamb, a pork and a beef with a lot of potatoes and the price is almost double from the other restaurant. My friend she had the local famous thin pizza called Tarte Flambee in munster cheese. The thin crust pizza was alright but the cheese was incredible strong and filled up your stomach straight away.

I believe this restaurant could be better in terms of improve the service, foods and promote !

2  Thank SummerHeat80
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This was a disappointment. Although we had reserved ahead, the table (before we moved) was stuck in a corner by the door. I ordered a 2005 wine, but the waiter did not tell me that he changed this to a 2007 wine from a co-operative rather than the producer I had chosen. When I pointed this out, he said that the bottle I had chosen was not available. However, I should not have to be the one to spot this. He charged the same price for this bottle even though I asked him to double-check that this could possibly be right. The food was traditional but very heavy indeed - the snails were average, munster on toast nothing special and the main courses were just very heavy. For around the same price we ate at Aux Trois Poissons for a much better dining experience. For traditional cuisine, the Winstub Brenner was much superior.

3  Thank Callimachus