“Dreadful Service - Totally Clueless”

Transpennine Express
Ranked #10 of 18 Transportation in Manchester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Been travelling with TP for years and have watched them slide into complete uselessness. Tonight was exceptionally bad even by TP's standards. Couldn't leave Leeds as had no conductor. Then when we got to Manchester Victoria the train was cancelled with us all on because we had no driver - I assume he just finished his shift and left. There were people crying on the platform because they were going to miss their flights at the airport. I'm very adept now at working out alternative ways of getting to work and home. But must admit, the combination of TP and Northern is commuter hell and I'm in danger of starting to drive again.

All reviews
"great journey"
in 3 reviews
"train guard"
"lemon drizzle cake"
"oxford road"
"mum"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Having bought a return ticket from northallerton to Leeds using a valid railcard the outward journey had no issues (although it was on another train provider), our tickets had been checked as well as our railcard.
We travelled back the same day and here is where the issues began.
On board the train the conductor asked to see our tickets and railcard. He refused our valid railcard and tore it up, refused our tickets...but still stamped them so we couldn't use them. He then proceeded to threaten us that he would arrange for us to be thrown off the train if we didn't pay (he still had our tickets). We ended up having to pay for both journey tickets again which was over double what we had already paid, I didn't realise this until we had already been charged. Other people overheard what was happening and stated to the conductor that he was out of order but was ignored. It did get quite heated. I am disabled and found the whole situation very traumatic. I paid up because I actually couldn't face the confrontation.
After being on the train 5 minutes, everyone was asked to leave the train when we arrived at York....Not scheduled to leave but apparently everyone had to. When my son approached the conductor to check if the new tickets would be valid, the conductor denied even dealing with us in front of his colleague.
Our train from York to northallerton, no issues (although with another provider). They even accepted our original tickets.
Having rung trans penning express to complain I was promised a refund, now they are refusing as I don't have the railcard....that their conductor destroyed!
Disgusting service.

1  Thank Franky46564
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Ingenious way of charging twice and having the entertainment of watching customers sitting in the aisles. Brilliant move on the part of TPE to fully book a train. Undertake engineering works on the Bank Holiday. Offer an 8 hour coach alternative then charge for a new ticket if you try to take the longer alternative route

Reviewed May 15, 2018

Purchased a First Class Ticket in advance Sheffield - Manchester, no seats were available in either first class or std class in this overcrowded train, had to stand in the luggage area. Complaining to the Company is a waste of time and effort with their negative derisory reply. It is time we had a different organisations to run our public transport system

4  Thank chmarshuk
See more reviews
Reviewed May 10, 2018 via mobile

In a one-man media fuelled effort to save the environment, I have made the decision to take public transport to work, despite the clear financial disadvantages. A bold and respectable move you might say. Unfortunately my experience this far has fallen far beyond my expectations.

As I write this message I am currently crammed up in one of your carriages. To use an analogy as to how this may look, the only difference between my current situation and a can of sardines is the lack of brine. As a result of the lack of salty preservative, the sweaty exudate is steadily wafting upwards creating an undesirable mixture of desiel fumes and BO, surprisingly similar to a bottle of Blossom Hill chardonnay that has been left open in a cupboard for a week.

Whilst the conductor has been lovely in apologising for the unusually busy service, he also had the undesirable job of explaining this yesterday. This in my opinion concludes that the 'unusual' is now becoming the 'usual'.

The last time I spent hours in close proximity to a large group of strangers, sweating with my hands in the air, I was at an underground rave in Brixton. If this is the service you are intending to provide, may I suggest the addition of loud drum and bass music alongside the already offered expensive alcoholic drinks trolley for a truly authentic experience.

Alternatively, the addition of a shower carriage or complementary cans of lynx could be given out at the station.

2  Thank Rob T