“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Didsbury Pub

The Didsbury Pub
Ranked #553 of 2,185 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
manchester
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

We booked online for Friday evening and went along armed with our booking reference to find it had not been registered. We were offered a table where two ten year olds would have had trouble fitting in, then the manager came along and found us a proper table. After ordering we waited 3/4 hr for our starter,then after a reminder ,1/2 hr each between main course and dessert. The food was good when it eventually arrived, apart from the 'cod and chips' - looked good but was mostly batter with soggy tasteless fish. A most disappointing evening.

Visited January 2014

• Greek first
Chester, United Kingdom
“Oh dear.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Having been visiting this pub for many years, I was slightly saddened by my last visit. Usually upon entering here you greeted by one of the friendly hosts and shown to your table. However on this occasion we where just left to stand there for a good few minutes, wouldn't have minded but it wasn't even busy. Once sat down we ordered our drinks and then our food, this was all done very efficiently and quick but that's where it stops. We then waited for over half hour for main courses, which weren't that difficult to make, and when they came out they where cold, so we sent them back and then waited some more. I must say that the waitress was very helpful and apologetic, however it would have been nice for a manager to come over but there didn't appear to be one working. Once we received the meals again it was clear that they had been microwaved even though we where told we would get fresh ones. We hardly ate the meals and when the waitress cleared our plates she was again very apologetic, she could see that we where upset and she went to speak to the manageress, who was in her early 20s with browny hair who to be honest didn't seem very interested and looked like it was agony for her to be there never mind come over and speak to us. We are not one to complain but what me and my husband where upset about was that the manageress knew we where upset but didn't come over and thought it acceptable for us to leave unhappy as well as pay full prices for a meal we didn't even. Where was the management of that situation??? I felt sorry for the waitress as she had tried her best but could only go off what her manageress had told her to do. All in all the situation could have been sorted by the manageress coming over and apologising we didn't want money off, we just wanted to give feedback to her. It's a shame as we will not return now, as we no longer feel like the managers care about our custom.

2 Thank RobynJ110
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Didsbury Pub, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear RobynJ110

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Didsbury in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Manchester
“Horrible pub slop - total rip-off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I took my father to The Didsbury for lunch last week, having heard good things about the place. We were greeted by a lovely waitress - Helen - who turned out to be the only positive thing about our visit, friendly and attentive as she was.

We both ordered two courses: my father went for mushrooms on brioche followed by fish and chips, while I chose the macaroni cheese with butternut squash (the only veggie thing on the menu) followed by the churros with melted chocolate dipping sauce.

The food arrived scarily quickly - within five minutes (just long enough for the microwave to ping, methinks...) and to the deafening sound of smashing glasses from behind the bar, which continued for our whole visit.

The mushrooms on brioche turned out to be soggy mushrooms in a sauce that resembled canned mushroom soup, dumped on half a burger bun. The fish and chips were mediocre and the macaroni cheese with butternut squash was overcooked and had four tiny pieces of squash in it.

The churros were perhaps the crowning achievement - they'd clearly been fried in the same oil as the chips and onion rings, as that's exactly what they tasted of. The 'melted chocolate' dipping sauce was cheap chocolate syrup from a bottle. Where the other food had been horribly disappointing, this was disgusting and inedible; we sent it back. Mercifully it was removed from the final bill.

I won't be returning to The Didsbury. I was embarrassed to have taken my father somewhere so pitiful for dinner, and I sincerely hope the pub either ups its game significantly or does us all a favour and shuts its doors.

2 Thank lehearts
Dear lehearts

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Lunch at The Didsbury Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Very comfortable experience at The Didsbury, good service and good food with a convivial atmosphere. Lots of room but retaining an important "cosy" feel. We were having lunch with our daughter and her friend from university. Set us up for an afternoon buying them provisions at the supermarket!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Derek N
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We booked a table for a party of 10 for lunch on December 28th. We were very disappointed with our meal for the following reasons. Firstly, the service was very slow and we had to wait quite a long time before we were able to order. When our order was eventually taken we were informed that a number of dishes were not available. We were annoyed that we had not been told this before selecting our meals. Furthermore, one of only two vegetarian options on the menu was not available which meant that the vegetarians in our party had no choice at all! When, after a lengthy wait, the meals were finally served the vegetarian option did not appear. It was eventually served after the rest of the party had finished the main course. The food itself was mediocre.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank 635Parker
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Didsbury Pub, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear 635Parker