“Frequent Lunch Client”
Review of San Rocco - City Centre - CLOSED

San Rocco - City Centre
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The first branch in Sergio Stefano's renowned San Rocco Italian restaurant chain, this eatery in Manchester's South King Street opened in 1971 and has been a hit ever since. The light-filled dining room – with wooden floors, crisp white linens, potted plants and open-plan stainless steel kitchen – has a cosmopolitan ambience ideal for business meetings and stylish get-togethers with friends and family. Signature dishes from the traditional Italian menu include the Penne al Salmone in a creamy tomato sauce; the Filetto alla Griglia – fillet steak with grilled cherry tomatoes and field mushrooms with rosemary potatoes; and the Risotto al Pollo with barbecued chicken, peas and tomatoes. San Rocco also has an excellent Italian-led wine list.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Once a month or so. often but not solely on a Saturday. No need to book rarely have to wait for table. Staff professional & friendly. Nice starched linen tablecloths and napkins. Shining glasses always replaced with nice large ones when ordering a half decent bottle of wine. There is a very modestly priced table du jour menu or whatever is the Italian equivalent. The a la carte menu to suit all pockets from pasta and pizza to lobster, fillet steak, veal, sole,scallops etc. We thoroughly enjoy meals here and have no complaintrs about the quality or cooking

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I visited San Rocco last year and loved it, so booked it for a works birthday celebration for 10 of us.

Instead of one big table, we had 3 small round ones pushed together, which wasn't great, and meant that some of us almost had our backs to each other, however, not the end of the world.

Our table was booked for 6.45pm so that we could have the pre 7pm special offer menu, but on arrival we were told that we were too late for this despite it being well before 7pm. The main menu was reasonably priced but we felt that we should have had the option.

We all ordered different things, and all were served together and hot and everyone seemed to be happy with their meals. Mine was certainly delicious.

The service was great, very friendly and efficient and we weren't at all rushed.

The bill had service automatically added, which we would have happily paid anyway, unfortunately we also were charged for 2 bottles of wine that we didn't have. They willingly adjusted the bill (£40 reduction), however, we couldn't help but wonder whether this was an accident or whether they assumed that we wouldn't notice given that we'd shared several bottles of wine during the evening.

It was a shame to leave with this doubt, because everything else was great. I'm sure I will return, however, will make sure to check the bill.

1  Thank taylorfish
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Nice atmosphere, excellent food, slightly OTT drink prices. Lovely staff. Don't plan on just rolling up for a pre theatre meal - its always full.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I found myself dining out alone early on a Saturday night in Manchester city centre – really felt like a female Billie no mates! However the staff at San Rocco looked after me and the food was rather tasty – far better than the food I had in another well known Italian restaurant in the same city the following evening. I know which one I’ll go back to.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Sadly, I found the food at this establishment disappointing. Both my starter and main course were below expectations. I had scallops as a starter and sirloin steak as a main. The scallops were greasy and spoiled by their wrapping. The steak was bland, fatty and I suspect drowned in sauce because of its poor quality. I didn't eat it and so filled up on cheese and crackers. Being with a large party I preferred not to make a fuss and so made the best I could of the evening despite my grumbling stomach.

Service charge was added to our bill which we chose not to pay in full - this was questioned by staff. Whilst staff were prompt and reasonably pleasant, I feel they had no real interest in customer satisfaction.

I love food and this is the first time I have left a meal because it wasn't tasty enough (this includes pub grub @ low prices). One expects more from a restaurant and I won't be returning.

A shame.