“Have standards have fallen?”
Review of Happy Seasons

Happy Seasons
Ranked #133 of 2,261 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Craigavon
“Have standards have fallen?”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have been going to this restuarant for around twelve years and have always been delighted by the quality of food and service but I am afraid this recent visit has been a bit of a disappointment. I have always looked upon this as one of the best and least pretentious Chinese restuarants I have gone to.

We arrived and were shown to our table and after a longish wait of nearly fifiteen minutes our order was taken - two soups and sharing a sizzling fillet steak with fried rice.

The soup when it eventually arrived was tasty and good. We then had an inordinate delay while we waited on our main course. It arrived and when the steak was poured onto the supposedly hot plate for sizzling, the plate was cold and they had to take it back and try again. The fried rice was watery and was sent back to be replaced and this to seemed to take an age and of course our steak was cooling down.

I explained to the man who seemed to be in charge, who recognised me as regular customer and said they had new staff in the kitchen and were very busy because of the Manchester United/Reading match - but that hardly rang through because when we were in Happy Seasons the game was being played.

A very disappointing experience but I will give it another try of old times sake! Places sometimes do have an off night!

• Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Meal out after theatre visit”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

called in early evening after visit to royal exchange theatre. was busy but didnt have too much of a wait. just kept having to dodge the serving staff as no where to wait. lots of Chinese people in, always a good sign. Decor is getting tired and grubby - my chair was filthy.
food - good - had set menu B - peking soup; prawn toast, seedweed, salt & pepper ribs; then duck with pancakes; followed by ginger beef and sweet & sour fish. had enough left over for a doggy bag. soup was delicious - could live off it. never enough crispy duck - even if you get a full one. have visited before and would go again. what you see is what you get. constant stream of visitors getting takeaways

UK
“Great no-frills restaurant serving excellent Cantonese food, recommended!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

On my first visit here, as I walked through the door I immediately noticed three things: a) the fabulous smell of cooking food, b) the very basic decor, and c) it was choc-a-bloc with very happy Chinese families, couples and groups tucking into the source of the wonderful smell. All three points bode very well in my book for good honest food to come and I was not to be disappointed either on that, or subsequent visits. This a basic, functional, down-to-earth restaurant (closer to a cafe really), serving up simply fab Cantonese food, and the service is highly efficient and smiley, especially on return visits :-) There is a constant ringing of the bell as someone comes through the door, either to sit down and eat, or take-away, and the take-away's are again being purchased by local Chinese people.

This is excellent, authentic and very tasty Cantonese food, served by friendly staff, in basic surroundings at good value prices. When I went again today I was only the second caucasian person in a very busy lunchtime restaurant, the atmosphere only slightly marred 10 minutes later by the arrival of a middle-aged western couple, and the loud self-important and pompous way the lady ordered her food and spoke to the waitress and at least half of the restaurant... It did not detract one iota from from the food in front of me though, or affect the professional staff. This is a great no-frills restaurant serving excellent Cantonese food, recommended!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great food !!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was not a chinese food lover but I have to say, this restaurant changed my mind. My meal was greatly cooked and the quantity was massive considering the price. The only downside was the white wine which wasn't cold enough. A big thank you to Winnie, she was very welcoming, smiling, and helpful. I will come back and will recommend you to my friends and family.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“First Chinese meal I have enjoyed!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Visited here yesterday and was welcomed by several friendly staff. With a full restaurant and good atmosphere it was a great start. Ordered pork buns, spring rolls, vermicelli style noodles & a chicken chow mein – it was all very nice, flavoursome and plenty of it too. Only bit which annoyed me (and it was very small) was that I was sat next to the door. Due to the popularity of this, there was a constant queue at the door meaning I needed spicy food to keep me warm - overall however, it was fantastic and will certainly be returning.

• Visited January 2013