“Like the concept, but food offering poorly executed.”

Sinclair's Oyster Bar
Ranked #605 of 2,326 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Visited on the 20th June for lunch. A hot afternoon.
It looks great from the outside, in a really good location.
What intrigued me was that on a hot afternoon, with a packed garden.....Why was nobody eating??
....... I now know why!!!!!
This Pub serves only Sam Smiths products, which I think is great, and something a bit different. It also represents great value for money, with stupidly cheap pints! (Please sort your postmix out though!!)
Young lad on the Bar was very informative, with great levels of customer service.
We ordered two 'freshly battered' Fish and Chips.
The condiments (which we had to grab ourselves) were so basic, and more suited to a tacky greasy spoon restaurant.
Fish was oily. Batter was overdone and swimming in grease. Mushy peas were cold.... But the chips were nice :-)
Server didnt bother to check how our meals were.... Probably aware of what the response would be!!!

This Pub has the potential to be great, with a packed yard, full of diners.... It must sort out its food offering though.
If you are only looking for somewhere to have a drink, give it a go.
Might give it a second chance on our next visit to Manchester......

There are newer reviews for Sinclair's Oyster Bar

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Sinclairs is exactly what you would expect from a city centre pub. Thriving on most days. The staff work incredibly hard whilst dealing with impatient customers. Great atmosphere on weekends. The reviews on here are not a true reflection on my visits there. The beer served is strong and very well priced. Where else can you get a stong lager for £2.12. Compared to other city centre pubs the staff are of the highest standard. Definately recommend you take a trip in.

1  Thank GaryJ1985
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Don't listen to the bad reviews. Some people are never happy. If you are looking for a high end wine bar then go elsewhere. The facts are this pub serves decent food, good drink at great prices particularly for the city centre. It can get extremely busy especially when the sun is out but the staff work very hard under pressure to get people served as quickly as possible. The people are generally friendly and the atmosphere is good. Considering the number of people that visit this pub from all over the world there are very few complaints. It's always a good time in the oyster bar! Give it a go!

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Yesterday I was out with my husband and mother in law in the centre of Manchester and we decided to come here for a nice pub lunch. If you're thinking the same, please stop, turn around and head to Wetherspoons.

We ordered the trio of burgers, fish and chips and steak and kidney pudding along with 2 pints of Coke and a small glass of wine. My mother in law was not impressed that she was charged £3.70 for a 175ml glass of wine. Both of the Cokes were flat, but we didn't make a fuss as we just wanted something cold to drink. On reading other reviews it would appear that the bar staff have insisted to other customers that the Coke is supposed to be flat. To me, this means they are either using a cheap alternative to Coke, or simply have a broken machine and can't be bothered to fix it.

We sat in one of the back rooms where we waited over half an hour for our food. At no point did anyone apologise for the wait, or let us know that they were running behind. After 25 minutes, my husband went to the bar to enquire and was told it would be ready soon. Two members of staff then came into the room adjacent where the food is served from and started loudly complaining about people asking where their food was. They were constantly swearing, moaning about the chef and work in general.

I saw one of the members of staff put his fingers in someone's food. I was about to suggest that we ask for a refund and leave, when our food finally arrived. It was not worth the wait. The fish looked to be of reasonable quality, but the chips were soggy and pale. My husband said that the inside of his steak and kidney pudding was the only thing that was edible. His vegetables looked like they had been sat out for a full day before being served.

My trip of burgers was missing the onion rings. When I enquired about this, I was told I hadn't ordered onion rings. I advised that it was on the menu as part of the meal and was told that they would check the menu. More loud complaining and foul language ensued from the other room, and I was presented with 3 onion rings and an explanation that the menu was a misprint.

The burgers were very dry, just a small patty of meat on each with a side sauce of chunky tomato relish. As I am 9 months pregnant, I couldn't eat the beef which was slightly undercooked, but didn't make an issue of this since other people prefer beef like this and I understand it is difficult to please everybody. I ate half the lamb burger before finding a hair on my plate amidst the food. That was the final straw for me. After drinking flat drinks, the others eating barely edible food, and waiting half an hour for the food which should have taken no longer than 15 minutes, all whilst listening to constant swearing and complaining from the staff, I could not bring myself to eat any more knowing that their food hygiene policy was questionable.

I went to the bar and after waiting 5 minutes to be seen to, requested to speak to the manager. I was told that he was upstairs and instead the young man who had served us the food and was the main instigator of all the fuss in the next room came to see me. I listed everything that I wasn't happy about and said that I wasn't prepared to eat any more of my meal, and that I would like it to be refunded. He spoke to the manager on the phone, and came back to tell me that as some of the meal had been consumed I couldn't have a refund. I repeated that there was a hair found in my food and that this was unhygienic, and he just shrugged and said that sometimes these things happen. At this point my husband came to back me up as he could see I was struggling. He reiterated the whole complaint and that it wasn't unreasonable for me to be refunded for just the one meal seeing as I had only been able to take two bites. I left to rejoin my mother in law as I was only too aware that my heart rate was continually rising, and my husband finally got a refund of £6.95, very begrudgingly.

I would actively recommend finding somewhere, anywhere, else in the city centre to eat of drink. The food is appalling, hygiene very questionable, and the service the worst I have ever experienced. I would recommend to the manager that he stops making ridiculous excuses for everything and starts to turn this place around, beginning with getting rid of the awful staff and giving their jobs to people who appreciate then and have even a modicum of customer service skills.

An overpriced mistake.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This places lacks charm, staff indifferent. I ordered a meal with chips. When it arrived I queried the mistake only to be told' 'yeah the cook forgot' then they walked off and left me with it. Plastic glasses, weak beer and now probably cheaper in Weatherspoons.