“Wonderful food and service!”

Sokrates Taverna - Sale
Ranked #62 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sokrates Taverna on Northenden Road in Sale is a super-friendly, casual Greek & Mediterranean restaurant serving delicious cuisine from Greece and Cyprus. The Meze menu at Sokrates Taverna with its variety of dishes is perfect for parties and group get-togethers and the restaurant's wine list has an excellent selection of wines plus beers from Greece and Cyprus. From the A'la Carte menu one can enjoy traditional dishes like Stifado (a beef and onion casserole), the classic Mousaka and of course delicious meat skewers (kebabs) cooked on real charcoal.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We visited Sokrates Taverna this evening, having won a meze banquet for two in a Christies' hospital charity event raffle which the restaurant had donated. The food was absolutely delicious, especially the Sokrates special sausages, the Stifado (incredibly tender beef in a red wine sauce) and the rich & tasty Moussaka (and there was plenty of it!). The service was second to none and, despite our meal being free, the very friendly man who served us (the owner?) was quick to offer seconds of each dish. The taverna was busy even on a Tuesday evening which speaks for itself. Will definitely visit again!

1  Thank UkMrslady

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I went here with the in-laws and O/H. We ordered the meze for the four of us and what a feast!! First were the various dips with pitta, then some hot starters like souvlaki, keftedes and so on. All really delicious!! At this point we're looking at each other, thinking surely there can't be much more.... oh how wrong we were. Some really lovely tasters of moussaka, kleftiko, meatballs, special Greek pasta dish with lamb. Thoroughly enjoyed the lot. I think the only thing that slightly put me off was a bit too much oil in the mains, but other than that it was lovely. The pudding - oh my god the pudding. I would go back for the greek yoghurt cheesecake alone. just nom!! Definitely going back!

1  Thank CatKi
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We live very close to Sokrates and go quite a lot. It is always brilliant. I had my birthday meal there with ten guests - they gave me a free Greek yoghurt cheesecake with honey at the end which was amazing! The food is always brilliant and huge portions! The halloumi is particularly lovely and the mezze platter is a good way of sampling everything.

1  Thank packthesuitcases
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is my favourite restaurant in Sale. The food above all is the best you'll get. Lovely family run it and always lovely and welcoming. The decor is a little dated but the food is so good you don't care. Highly recommended.

1  Thank JKC40
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Best vegetable mousakka I have ever eaten! The restaurant has a lovely authentic feel - nothing flashy but comfy and clean. The food is fabulous! I have been on a few occasions with many people and nobody has had a bad meal! Lamb melts in the mouth and meze is great for trying all they have to offer. Drinks are a little expensive but I take that for the overall lovely evening.

1  Thank Becky L