“Humble but very good”

Sokrates Taverna - Sale
Ranked #234 of 2,398 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sokrates Taverna on Northenden Road in Sale is a super-friendly, casual Greek & Mediterranean restaurant serving delicious cuisine from Greece and Cyprus. The Meze menu at Sokrates Taverna with its variety of dishes is perfect for parties and group get-togethers and the restaurant's wine list has an excellent selection of wines plus beers from Greece and Cyprus. From the A'la Carte menu one can enjoy traditional dishes like Stifado (a beef and onion casserole), the classic Mousaka and of course delicious meat skewers (kebabs) cooked on real charcoal.
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We did our usual thing in Greek restaurants of ordering Meze so you that you get lots of different things to share and try together. Of course, it starts with pitta bread and dips. I've had better dips elsewhere, but the rest of the food was as good as any other greek restaurant's I've been to.

A special mention goes for the service. A party of about twelve turned up two at a time while we were having our meal. The small team managed to greet them all and get drinks for them whilst maintaining good service to us and everyone else who was already eating. And they did it without looking rushed or stressed too. Impressed.

1  Thank tnb43

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took my daugther for her birthday with my wife.

We had the "meze" starter and it was very authentic, greek food. There is a lot of food on this platter.

We then went on to mains.
My Daughter couldn't cope with all the food, but the waiter (owner?) put it into a doggy bag, so no waste.

I felt the drinks were expensive. We had 3 Ouzo and lemonades and a bottle of House Red.
The wine was very good but the drinks bill was nearly £30!! I felt this was a bit overe the top.

I felt the food was superb and we would definitely go back.

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

An excellent meal choice is the meal of many dishes. They just come through the evening with 19 dishes. The house red wine is also one to try. A good change if you up for trying sometime different

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We went because of it's proximity to our office. We checked first with tripadvisor and felt confident enough to book. Thankfully, it lived up to the hype! We had the meze platter to share over lunch and loved every dip and every item we had. The rest of my party had all been to either Greece or Cryprus, one of them is particularly fussy about authenticity of foreign food, but every tasty morsel prompted fond memories of holidays in Greece it was that close to the real deal. The gentleman who served us was also delightful when I went in to book and also over our meal, he was happy to help and very down to earth.

1  Thank VChapman
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I have just been to Socrates for the first time with my work colleagues. We ordered the Meze Platter and it was fantastic, plenty of choice and very authentic. there was so much to choose from. The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. I would definitely be going there again and recommending it to all my friends.