“excellence from nepal”

Cuisines: Nepali
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2014

very good cooking , tandoori and curries , can get a bit busy at weekends which is why i slightly prefer the namaste down the road (think they are owned by same family_) i like the tandoori mackerel along with the mackerel curry , with the excellent naan bread not something you get in every indian restaurant. goes without saying that the lamb and chicken dishes are superb too.

1  Thank jason p H

Reviewed March 25, 2014

It has been nearly 16 years since we visited this restaurant,granted it is now bigger but the welcome and the standard of food is just as good as we remembered.We went for lunch having the lunchtime set menu and a beer just the right amount and the service was second to none.It was quiet and we spent a fair while talking to the waiter about Nepal,we were there in November.Recommend it to anyone it certainly won't be as long till we next visit.

2  Thank SmartHippo2013
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

I've visited Great Kathmandu on 4 or 5 lunchtimes in the last six months - drawn by the good food and convincing myself that the poor welcome will surely be better next time.

It never has been and the hope/conviction has now been thoroughly squashed.

With the exception of a young Italian waitress (new today I believe) the serving staff have been consistently uninterested almost to the point of surliness.

It's so far from modern service standards as to be a joke - EVERYTHING is too much trouble. In fact I've just heard an older lady customer (here to order a takeaway) feel obliged to apologise to the retreating back of the waiter as he disappeared towards the kitchens - for taking so much of his time (I am the only other customer present).

Today is the first time in five visits that a requested jug of water has arrived (courtesy of the new staff member).

The whole thing plays out like a Nepalese Fawlty Towers - but with Basil as the only waiting staff and without any of the humour.

Okay - vent over - equanimity restored!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I usually go to the Great Khat with my mates, but this time, took him. He was bowled over by the choice and the flavours in the food - I was smugly complacent - knowing that the food is always great. The only let down this time was being crushed in with families and squawking kids. Maybe our fault for going at 5.30 pm, but maybe they might think about having a family section and a grown up section if they're going to have the tables so close together....?
Anyway - lamb shashlik and fish tandoori to start - freshly cooked and tender... then chicken tikka masala and chicken/lamb mixed khari. Everything cooked perfectly and delicious. The draft Cobra was rather expensive and the service was rather 'relaxed' although we probably wouldn't have noticed except for the noisy family alongside which rather jollied us along.... The staff here are great - really professional and will help you navigate the extensive menu if you need it. It's not necessary to go for chef specials as even the 'standard' stuff is fabulous and tasty!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I love this place and have been a few times so well worth a review. The menu choice is great with plenty to choose from and some great specials. The place is massive and on around 3 floors and is regularly full. Service is as expected but very efficent.

I have been here with friends and family and we have always had a good time and enjoyed the food.

A few beers in The Met pub opposite and a good meal here, sound of a good night out in my eyes.

I will keep on returning.

2  Thank The_Sheriff