“Excellent food as always”

The Great Kathmandu
Ranked #585 of 2,298 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Nepali
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food as always”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Been here several times and the food is always good. It was busy as ever but they always manage to find me a table. The staff are very polite I will certainly return for yet another excellent meal

1 Thank Ken B

Manchester
“Very good tandoori”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Resisting the temptation to experiment in the long and interesting menu I ordered my favourite starter - tandoori lamb chops and they were superb as usual. I followed this up with Karahi lamb - also very good. My partner had the tandoori fish, which was also very nice. All in all an excellent meal. We were also lucky to get a table, even though it was a regular Thursday night, so the Kathmandu remains very popular. I think they were a waiter down, so service was a little slow, but the staff are always very friendly.

1 Thank R Mark C
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Going downhill.”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I live very close to this (previously small) restaurant and for many years have been it's number 1 fan. They then bought the large premises next door and tripled in size. It has not been any good since. Disorganised service and ever degrading food quality. Have been various times hoping to experience the place I liked so much but have now given up. Maybe I have just been unlucky!

1 Thank Didsburyfella
Manchester
“Not so great Kathmandu”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I hadn't been to this restaurant before, but had heard they got good reviews, and on arrival, it was busy despite being midweek, which is always a good sign.
We were seated at a table where the chairs had been crammed in so tight, it was like sitting on an aircraft. The waiters objected to us using an adjoining table to get more space, but did after asking 3 times, allow us to move up.
We were given the menus. Mine was filthy, and pieces of dried food dropped in my lap when I opened it. This instantly put me off. Sorry, but when staff cant be bothered to wipe menus, this does not give a good impression of the cleanliness and standards.
Because of this, I didn't order a starter, but was still given a plate containing a dried up, brown salad garnish!
The main course was uninspiring, luke warm and greasy. It was meant to be a spicy dish, but was bland and overcooked.
I would not recommend this restaurant, given that the area has a huge choice of far superior places to eat, including another Nepalese, which in my opinion is SO much better. Will be giving this place a wide berth in future

1 Thank lankylass
Glossop, United Kingdom
“Lovely service, Excellent Taste”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is a tandoori Nepalese restaurant, with an award winning chef. The waiter recommended two dishes for us that were exactly what we hoped- and more! Even the mushroom pilau was amazing. Big slices of mushrooms, and fresh herbs. I asked for a mild dish, and was recommended a creamy tomato dish that was much better than any curry I've had elsewhere. We had a reservation, and were given a quiet table-- which stayed that way til a very noisy group joined the room later. The atmosphere would have gotten 5 stars, if it weren't for the phone ringing off the hook-- it was Sat. night, so LOTS of takeaway orders! They kept the dishes hot by setting them a on a warmer lit by candles on our table. The onion bahji's were yummy too. Nice cloth napkins, and clean floor. Bonus was hot towels at the end to wash our hands, and chocolate mints. Our server, Hasan was polite and attentive, very helpful. We will definitely be coming back.

3 Thank esingnrain