“Be prepared to wait”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Went for a family outing as a birthday treat, tried to book mid-week but they don't take bookings for less than 10 people during the week. Decided to just turn up anyway and were told 35 mins wait which I gather was not bad - however after 45 mins had to chase up our table. The restaurant had a great atmosphere, although did feel that the tables were crammed in a little so you could join in with the conversation at the next table! BUT the food is amazing. We each had a different starter all of which were very good but the king prawns were the winner for me. Good choice of currys, I had the chicken and mushroom balti which was lovely not too spicy. The best bit must however be the family naan which comes to the table hanging up on a rack, it was the best naan i've ever tasted. Looking forward to going again but will allow more time to just enjoy the whole experience and not plan to move on for drinks elsewhere.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,937)

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I went to Akbars last night as part of a group of 20 work friends. On arrival, it was nice to have a separate bar area away from the main restaurant area. The bar area had a wide selection of drinks at usual city-centre prices (£5.00 for a bottle of Cobra and a J2O).

We were taken through to the main restaurant area for our meal - his was a large open-plan room which was modern, dimly-lit and it had a very vibrant atmosphere which was the best aspect of my experience.

The menu was good because there was a lot of choice from the usual run-of-the-mill curries to your more extravagant curries for the more discerning palate. However, the waiter advised us to opt for the set menu at £17.50 per head, selling it to us by advising us we'd get the full Indian experience, which sounded like a lot of food for the money, therefore, good value.

Firstly, a plate of 6 poppadoms arrived accompanied by a small carousel of four dips - this was for four people to share, which caused a problem because six doesn't go into four equally.

The next course comprised of two small lumps of chicken tikka, one shish kebab, two small onion bhajis, and a small thin potato fritter accompanied by a small side salad. This course was delicious and the portion sizes, despite being small, were adequate to leave room for the "feast" which had been "promised" for the main course.

The main course comprised of a plate of rice per two people to share - I can only describe the portion size as small. There were then four different meat-based curries in balti dishes to share per four diners - these dishes contained enough curry for each diner to get one tablespoon-full of curry........for me, it was more of a taster menu. The most impressive part of the main course was the naan bread, but, unfortunately, this was only visually impressive as opposed to being tasty or good quality - our curry and rice was served with the biggest naan bread ever seen! It must have been 18" long and 12" wide - this was for four people. Around the edges, the naan was thick and doughy, but in the middle, it was too thin and crispy.

During the meal, I ordered a round of drinks, but after about 10 minutes they hadn't arrived, so I had to leave the other diners and make my way to the bar area to purchase drinks.

Overall, I had a poor experience at Akbars because despite the food being tasty, I feel that it was poor value for money because I came away from the restaurant still feeling a little bit hungry.

In my experiences, there are many more options available in Manchester where the overall experience is better.

1  Thank nathan5997
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Wow by far the best Indian in Manchester, never seen so many people in a curry house before highly recommended, not just huge the nan's are the nicest I have tasted garlic mmmmmmm, Curry's got a superb taste.

Great quality & value here all in all as good as it gets...

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Good food served in a vibrant atmosphere which is reasonably priced. Gets very busy at weekends so recommend booking.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Arrived at 7:15pm and was told there was a 50 minute wait for a 2 person table. As it had been recommended we thought we'd wait and have a drink. After 1hr 20 however and being fobbed off by 16 year olds running the front of house we left. I suspect larger groups got priority.
In hindsight leaving may have been a good thing as we saw plastic vats of curry and frozen prawns thrown into water quickly before being 'cooked', through the kitchen windows.
You can't book on Saturday's apparently.....no restaurant is worth this wait. CHAOS!

3  Thank Andrew F