“Good Italian food”
Review of Piccolino

Piccolino
Reserve with OpenTable
Piccolino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 2,399 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Less than 10 minutes' walk from the Manchester Arndale shopping centre, Deansgate and Manchester Opera House, Piccolino is a comfortable Italian restaurant in Manchester city centre. Situated on Clarence Street, Piccolino showcases a delicious variety of contemporary and traditional Italian dishes. Prepared in an open kitchen, you can observe the chefs as they create a range of rustic and straightforward Italian dishes using the freshest ingredients. Alongside popular dishes such as risottos, classic pasta options and stone-baked pizzas, the menu also features a succulent selection of meat and fresh fish courses. The Italian cuisine, prime location and friendly ambience all combine to make Piccolino Manchester ideal for an intimate dinner or a business lunch.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stopped in without a reservation but were kindly accommodated. Food very good. Wait staff good with suggestions when asked.

1  Thank happy2see
Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Called in for lunch on a Monday with my wife after booking a day off work and having a walk around the City. My wife has visited this restaurant on a number of previous occasions with friends and always spoke highly of it.
Well I wasn't disappointed, courteous welcome on arrival and being a weekday lunchtime we were able to choose our own seats. Tastefully decorated , good ambience, very clean.
I ordered a starter Tuscan black cabbage and bean soup in traditional Tuscan earthenware bowl, outstanding flavour and very filling, however I still managed a main course of swordfish, scallops and tiger prawns - a true delight. My wife chose a veal and mushroom dish accompanied by spaghetti. All washed down with a bottle of the most delicious Rose wine.
For a few hours it felt like we were back on our previous happy travels in Tuscany.
Couldn't fault the restaurant in any way, I think it has just got itself two new regular customers!

2  Thank NEWLIFE2
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We hadn't booked our table at the restaurant but they accommodated us. The staff were attentive without being overly so. Very nice Italian lager. My partner had pizza which was tasty and a huge portion. I had the pollo Valdostana which was perfectly cooked and with a very nice garnish of basil sauce and roasted red and yellow peppers. I ordered a side of fries. I was expecting a little more for a main meal of £15.95 plus the extra cost of fries. I think really a main course should come with a complementary accompaniment. But that is a minor criticism on what was a nice enjoyable meal.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have been here twice now with friends and didn't enjoy the experience on either occasion. The problem is not so much the food - I would say it is perfectly acceptable and probably a cut above a lot of other chain Italian restaurants. I had a chicken Caesar salad last time which, while not the best I've ever had, was nice enough and a good quantity too. However, I thought everything was overpriced and we spent going on for £40 a head which I personally think is ridiculous in an Italian. I expect caviar and champagne for that price!

The problem is partly the din of fellow diners - this has got to be one of the loudest restaurants I have ever eaten in and I could barely hear a thing. Everyone seems to shout at top volume and the hard floors and furnishings don't help. The noise at times in there (on both occasions) was actually quite oppressive. I prefer to be able to have meaningful conversations with my friends - isn't that the whole point of eating out?

I also felt that it was rather too posy for my taste. There was an element of "Footballers' Wives" - people who are not actually that posh trying very hard to be posh and making sure everyone knows it. Perhaps this is the sort of people who are actually attracted by overpriced restaurants? It didn't feel in any way relaxed or cosy. I think this is just not my sort of place. I'm sure other people may like it.

2  Thank sfuhere
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Popped in to Piccolino for lunch today, not been in for a while but still does not disappoint, great service and food and it is great that even through I have not been in for some time that the Manager remembered me and came over to speak with me
We all enjoyed our meals and will be going back sooner rather than later this time.

1  Thank Michael J