“Best steak in town”

Ranked #67 of 2,344 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Tram stop 10 minute walk away. free local bus from Piccadilly train station drops off 1 minute away. Victoria train station 10 minute walk away.
Description: Gaucho source the finest grass-fed beef in the world from Argentina, along with an offering of many other Argentine specialities which range from Latin American style ceviche to chorizo, Gulf de San Jorge lobster, Patagonian lamb and Argentine gambas to traditional empanadas and fine wine. We also offer the largest wine selection in the world outside of Argentina in our restaurants and guests can buy many of the wines from our wine boutique, Cavas de Gaucho on Swallow Street. With seasonally changing menus served across all of our restaurants, we also offer The Gaucho Lunch menu, either two or three courses, between Monday and Friday.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I went with my family for lunch on a friday, I had booked but needn't have worried as we were the only ones in there (a bit disappointing) but a few more came in after us and the fact the kitchen is open made it feel busier. The bread and dips which were brought out complementary (I think) was fantastic. We all ordered steaks which came with fries and choice of sauce, I had rump with bearnaise, the steak was definately the best i have had, really tender and very tasty cooked medium rare and perfect (my dad was a butcher, so I feel qualified). Everyone agreed it was excellent and would all like to return. The clincher was when the waitress brought a glass of prosecco and a plate of petit fours with 'congratulations' piped in chocolate for me (she asked if we were there for an occasion, I told her I had just attended my graduation) it really made my day. Thanks

1  Thank foodyjules

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the tastiest and juiciest steaks I have ever had in my life and I have done a lot of travelling round the world with my job. The wine is a bit pricey but everything else is fantastic. Cannot wait to return.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have been lucky enough to pay two visit to Gaucho this year and both have been excellent,

We visited over the weekend as a bit of a treat. It is expensive no question but food quality excellent. Starters a glass of wine desserts mainly start around the £8 steaks anywhere from £15-to the £100s.

Service was OK its a very big restaurant with lots of tables close together, lots of noise and I got the impression our waitress wanted to move onto another tables as quickly as possible when weren't quiet ready to order drinks etc. Drinks actually were the only real problem with service as they took about 15 minutes to arrive we weren't having anything special so not sure why that is but both times its been the same. Despite the fact the waiting staff will tell you the steaks come with chips or salad you have to order these separately which can be a bit misleading as you pay extra for them. So its 23.50 plus 4.50 for steak and chips (a bit cheaper or a lot more expensive depending on your choice of meat and sauce)

I had empanada's which were OK the beef one was a overpowering to be honest and I can understand comparisons to Gregs though its a bit harsh! The crab and seafood mousse special was very good.

The steaks were out of this world. No sauce no chimchuri needed. They don't even bother with steak knifes the meat is so tender. We had some sweet potato chips which were nice but could have done with a few more. I wasn't keen on the normal chips the previous visit tasted too much of oil.

Desserts also very good. If a touch small

We were sat on the raised bit of the restaurant on possibly the most uncomfortable seat's possible there is nowhere to put your legs underneath the chair and the back is curved couldn't wait to get out of it. The rest of the place is a very modern black and white update of an old church I think I preferred it how it used to be buts got a certain amount of class

So 3 courses, 1 beer, 1 prosecco just over £103

Expensive but just about worth it

1  Thank bluehobbit
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was really looking forward to an evening meal at Gaucho since I have heard so much about it. The decor is very special - I love the hide covered cushions and chairs and the ambience is just right for a nice evening. The staff are courteous and you can tell how passionate they are about their steaks. The food however is nothing special and I was quite disappointed with my steak especially considering the price. But overall the experience was still quite good and I would recommend it to anybody looking for steak done properly.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Travelling from b'ham to Manchester and hearing the great reviews we decided to try Gaucho's We had a starter to share. When tasting them they were no better than a Gregg's cheese and onion or Cornish pasty. Our mains were as awful. I chose steak. Which was full of fat the fries were salty and the salad bitter. The salted chicken was way too salty to the point where it burnt your tounge. I know you expect some saltiness with salted chicken but this would be 4x the recommended daily amount. Very big dissaponitment.

1  Thank Sarah N