“Meat!”

Ranked #97 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Tram stop 10 minute walk away. free local bus from Piccadilly train station drops off 1 minute away. Victoria train station 10 minute walk away.
Description: Gaucho source the finest grass-fed beef in the world from Argentina, along with an offering of many other Argentine specialities which range from Latin American style ceviche to chorizo, Gulf de San Jorge lobster, Patagonian lamb and Argentine gambas to traditional empanadas and fine wine. We also offer the largest wine selection in the world outside of Argentina in our restaurants and guests can buy many of the wines from our wine boutique, Cavas de Gaucho on Swallow Street. With seasonally changing menus served across all of our restaurants, we also offer The Gaucho Lunch menu, either two or three courses, between Monday and Friday.
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Gaucho have accommodated our quarterly Manchester Steak Club a couple of times now. The quality of meat has, in the last visit, exceeded the quality elsewhere in Manchester, previously I would have given that crown to the two Grill on the Alleys, however drive to cater to more people has seen a decrease in quality. Gaucho stays true to itself and continues to offer melt in the mouth steaks, without feeling the need to be restrained by portion cost.
Steaks here can range from £20 to £150. Plenty of 'out of this world' options around the £30 mark.
(Can I also say that their burger is pretty damn delicious too!).
Chips are thin and crispy, starters are delicious and plenty to choose from, other sides available too. But, when you get a great steak, you shouldn't need anything else on your plate! That's certainly true of Gaucho.
The wine menu is also extensive and has some really punchy reds on there that compliment the rich argentine steaks perfectly.
Vegetarian options are very limited if you choose to bring one those types with you, but our token veggie enjoyed her meal too. :)

Oh also, location is excellent if you're planning on hitting the town afterwards (don't count on it though - I'm always soooo full on wine and steak by the time we leave, I can't bring myself to head out anywhere else)

Definitely recomend. Best steakhouse in Manchester.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Good atmosphere, meat o’plenty, cooked week, great service… although a bit of green was desired (but we could just have ordered this). Not much else to say.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Location:
Very convenient if you are in central Manchester.

Atmosphere:
Impressive and efficient reception on arrival. Escorted to a “ night club type of comfortable bar area which is rather on the dark side - so much so that I mislaid my mobile phone - never to be seen again !! However the staff and management were very helpful in attempting to locate it both during and after our meal.
The dining area is vast and tables are available at different levels and when full, as it was on the Saturday evening we dined here, there is an air of a successful operation at work.

Food:
We avoided having any starters on the advice of one of our guests who had eaten at the Leeds branch on the basis mains portion size. In hindsight this was good advice as it left a desire and room for a sweet.
If you are a meat eater - this is the place to visit. A wide selection is presented on a platter and a very helpful rather than rehearsed scripted explanation is provided by the knowledgable waiter.
Various types are offered at differing weights which was helpful for the mixture of male and female diners. Our table ordered Bife de Lomo (one at 225gr plus one at 300gr) a 400gr Bife de Ancho and a 400gr Bife de Ancho.
All were excellent. I did however call the servers attention to the fact that my ordered medium rare steak was in my opinion - medium. This was removed without any hesitation and replaced quickly. The floor manager also came to the table to add his apologies. I also requested a “fried egg” with my steak which for some reason normally seems terrify serving staff prior to passing on this request to the kitchen in other establishments. Not a problem here at upon placing the order or in its delivery -which on this occasion was twice as my steak was the one which was replaced.
Our meal was completed with sticky toffee pudding and desert sampler which was very pleasant and for drinks we had a bottle of Santa Faustino Syrah and Luigi Brut Nature

Service:
Including my comments above the overall service was excellent.

Value for Money:
Our bill at £246.35 exclusive of service was, I consider good value for the overall experience of the atmosphere and the meal served.

Summary:
If happy to spend around £60 per head for a good atmosphere and above average food would recommend a booking at Goucho.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went a saturday evening, had reserved seats (just in case), got our seats immediately. The waitress showed us the various pieces of meat and we were served pretty quickly. The restaurant is not too overcrowded, the space between the tables is fine. So it is quite a romantic setting. The food is not the cheapest in Manchester but on the other hand you get what you pay for - a really sublime steak. One of the best I have tasted.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

My partner and I booked in for a meal for the first time here on a trip to Salford. It had been recommended by his firm. The food was amazing. It was very atmospheric with an Argentenian feel right from when you step into the restaurant and customer service there was excellent. The staff take the time to advise you on your meal and pride themselves in every aspect of the evening without being too intrusive or rushing you. The food was amazing. I thoroughly recommend a visit if you are in the locality.