“Certainly not the best steak house”
Review of Gaucho Manchester

Gaucho Manchester
Ranked #67 of 2,344 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Tram stop 10 minute walk away. free local bus from Piccadilly train station drops off 1 minute away. Victoria train station 10 minute walk away.
Description: Gaucho source the finest grass-fed beef in the world from Argentina, along with an offering of many other Argentine specialities which range from Latin American style ceviche to chorizo, Gulf de San Jorge lobster, Patagonian lamb and Argentine gambas to traditional empanadas and fine wine. We also offer the largest wine selection in the world outside of Argentina in our restaurants and guests can buy many of the wines from our wine boutique, Cavas de Gaucho on Swallow Street. With seasonally changing menus served across all of our restaurants, we also offer The Gaucho Lunch menu, either two or three courses, between Monday and Friday.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

They have good meat but I'm not sure if they are the best steak house, for best steak house my vote goes to Bem Brasil as you get to try 14 cuts o meat for £24.50 in here you will get 1 steak 250g.
Don't get me wrong this is a very nice restaurant too but a little over priced so its the kind of place when come once but not all the time.
Overall good very good staff and a nice atmosphere

2  Thank Ervo7

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The staff were knowledgable and attentive
The food was superb
Not cheap but highly reccomended !!!!!!!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My partner and I ate here on Thursday night and from the moment we arrived, the door was opened to us by someone holding a managerial role and we were greeted by a very friendly hostess. The manager then took us to our table explained the menu to us thoroughly and took our drinks order, we ordered a bottle of sparkling water for the table, my partner ordered a beer and I ordered a Vodka, Chambord and Pineapple, which the manager instantly new was a French Martini. Once our drinks had come over he then returned and asked us if our table was ok (because we were right next to the kitchen) and that he would move us if we'd like, however my Partner being an ex-chef and me being extremely nosey were very happy. Shortly after, our waitress came over and explained the cuts of meat too us, it seemed as though she actually understood it rather than just rattling of a memorise spiel.
We were given a complimentry bread as a pre-starter which I always think is a nice touch.
For starters we both shared the sausage platter which was £19.95, the sausages were cooked well and were very juicy, with this dish you get a chargrilled pepper which compliments all the meat very well because some of the sausages are quite spicy.
Once our starters were cleared everything unneccessary on our table was removed and our table was crumbed down. Perfect upsell between courses is to offer another drink, which we did so very good waitressing.
For main courses we both had the medIa Luna de vacIo which is 500g (approx 17oz) for £30.85 each, this is very good value for a 17oz steak !! We both had our steaks cooked medium-rare and both came out perfect. The steaks come with a side of either chips or salad which we got one of each, we also order a mixed tomato salad and peas and bacon. (we also randomly got carrots aswell, but they were very nice). I wouldn't recommend you get this many sides as i personally was quite overfaced, but that was our own fault. The Media Luna de Vacio is a flank cut of meat so at parts i came across some quite chewy pieces, but the flavours the steak is marinated in were fantastic and my partner and I quite amptly finished the whole 17oz's of. Only tiny niggle was the peppercorn sauce that comes with it wasn't fantastic, but i hardly used it anyway as the meat was so fantastic.
Once our mains were cleared again the manager who had previously seated us came and asked us how our meal was and built some rapport with us. Our table was then crumbed down by another waiter and we recieved dessert menus. Although i was quite tempted by a few of the desserts they had to offer, both of us were defeated by the food we'd already had.
For a bottle of water, 1 beer, 2 French martinis, 1 starter and 2 mains the bill came to around £120.
The experience was flawless from start to finish, working in the industry myself i couldn't physically find one thing that could have been done better service wise. The only thing we could say is a waitress was stood talking to the head chef for a while next to our table, something about the staff christmas party. However this wasnt our waitress and the conversation wasnt intruding.
When we left the door was opened for us again and we were given a warm goodbye from the staff. Very happy customers.

1  Thank atmh1313
Reviewed January 5, 2013

As a restaurant with a heavy focus on steaks it is vital to consider that when giving a rating ^^.

The steak I had (400grams fillet, £43) was indeed delightful and one of the best I've ever had; certainly top 3 in the UK.

However, aside from the steak everything else was very much a supporting act; the special tiger prawns starter (£13) was nice but I probably wouldn't have it again.

At 20:30 on a Saturday night, the venue was very busy, we were fortunate to have a table on the upper floor overlooking the kitchen and main dining area which, although I can't comment directly, seemed slightly overcrowded with a few tables where there should not have been (adjacent to the staircase).

The service was good and on the whole a very nice, albeit expensive evening (£300 for 4 people, although admittedly this was three courses, beer, a bottle of wine, and two particularly large steaks)

I doubt there is a better place to have steak and chips in Manchester.

1  Thank Harry182
Reviewed January 4, 2013

After hearing so much about this restaurant I decided to take my family to give it a try. Firstly, it is lovely to see an open kitchen and the chefs at work but this also means the dining area is very hot and makes eating quite uncomfortable. Had the Empanadas for my starter and was left feeling very disappointed, the chicken was slightly over cooked and quite bland. My fillet steak which had been marinated in garlic and parsley, was for the price at best average. The sides were cold and I left the restaurant feeling quite hungry. The decor is lovely and the service was excellent but I'm afraid the food which should have been the star attraction was mediocre. Happy to pay extra for really good food in a lovely restaurant but the food here falls short and for me not worth the money you pay.

1  Thank Lovefood92