“A solid steakhouse if nothing more...”
Review of Gaucho Manchester

Gaucho Manchester
Ranked #92 of 2,434 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Tram stop 10 minute walk away. free local bus from Piccadilly train station drops off 1 minute away. Victoria train station 10 minute walk away.
Description: Gaucho source the finest grass-fed beef in the world from Argentina, along with an offering of many other Argentine specialities which range from Latin American style ceviche to chorizo, Gulf de San Jorge lobster, Patagonian lamb and Argentine gambas to traditional empanadas and fine wine. We also offer the largest wine selection in the world outside of Argentina in our restaurants and guests can buy many of the wines from our wine boutique, Cavas de Gaucho on Swallow Street. With seasonally changing menus served across all of our restaurants, we also offer The Gaucho Lunch menu, either two or three courses, between Monday and Friday.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

As a restaurant with a heavy focus on steaks it is vital to consider that when giving a rating ^^.

The steak I had (400grams fillet, £43) was indeed delightful and one of the best I've ever had; certainly top 3 in the UK.

However, aside from the steak everything else was very much a supporting act; the special tiger prawns starter (£13) was nice but I probably wouldn't have it again.

At 20:30 on a Saturday night, the venue was very busy, we were fortunate to have a table on the upper floor overlooking the kitchen and main dining area which, although I can't comment directly, seemed slightly overcrowded with a few tables where there should not have been (adjacent to the staircase).

The service was good and on the whole a very nice, albeit expensive evening (£300 for 4 people, although admittedly this was three courses, beer, a bottle of wine, and two particularly large steaks)

I doubt there is a better place to have steak and chips in Manchester.

1  Thank Harry182
Write a ReviewReviews (1,769)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

After hearing so much about this restaurant I decided to take my family to give it a try. Firstly, it is lovely to see an open kitchen and the chefs at work but this also means the dining area is very hot and makes eating quite uncomfortable. Had the Empanadas for my starter and was left feeling very disappointed, the chicken was slightly over cooked and quite bland. My fillet steak which had been marinated in garlic and parsley, was for the price at best average. The sides were cold and I left the restaurant feeling quite hungry. The decor is lovely and the service was excellent but I'm afraid the food which should have been the star attraction was mediocre. Happy to pay extra for really good food in a lovely restaurant but the food here falls short and for me not worth the money you pay.

1  Thank Lovefood92
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Went here shortly after new year and thought it was quiet good. The food was nice without being exceptional, something I think you'd expect with the price tag. The entrées were interesting, and we opted for a non-beef few to share. The steaks were good and I would definitely eat here again, but not in the top 10 I've had. The wine list is interesting and offers a variety of great Argentinean varietals, at varying price points.

Atmosphere is some what bland. Probably best for a bigger, louder group than for two. Having said that, it is a nice space and definitely not what you'd expect from the street.

Well worth a try if you're in town, want a steak and wine with a price tag.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you enjoy steak, look no further. we booked in for our New Year special meal and of course, it was excellent.
the staff are friendly, and look after you, the chefs certainly know how to cook steak! It isn't a cheap night out but quality is what it is all about.
we booked in for 630 pm and were not rushed out to make room for others! cannot fault the experience and look forward to our next visit.

1  Thank Alicia H
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Everything about this place leads to a good night out. Great city centre location, amazing ultra modern interior, VERY subdued lighting (some people don't like this, they think it's too dark but I personally prefer too dark over too light- if I wanted to be illuminated then I'd eat in an all night cafe!), wait staff are smart, beautiful, knowledgeable and nothing is too much trouble. Food is AMAZING and even though it's not hte cheapest place around, at the end of the day you get what you pay for and that makes it excellent value for money. Just realised how long it's been since my last visit- must do something about that!

1  Thank Sarah J