“BELUGA CLOSED.. NOW CALLED SUGAR BUDDHA”
Review of Beluga - CLOSED

Beluga
Cuisines: British, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Never had a bad meal yet.. I think groupon will refund so be patient.

1  Thank jhonda67
There are newer reviews for Beluga

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I purchased a Groupon deal in March for "Afternoon Tea with a Twist for Two" at Beluga, and duly booked a table for my Birthday. I was excited to go, as I had heard great things about the place.

We arrived with plenty of time, and were shown downstairs. The furnishing were shabby, to say the least - and certainly not in a chic way! There were quite a few other patrons, who all seemed to be there for afternoon tea deal. The waitress was pleasant and took our order for the cocktails (we chose Long Island Iced Tea) included in the deal.

After a little wait we were presented with a frankly pathetic plate of sandwiches which for the most part were poor at best. Alongside the sandwiches were a selection of tiny cakes, and a scone each with cream and jam. We were looking forward to the Long Island Iced Tea, which was present in a teapot - but were dismayed to find that it was just flat coke and vodka.

I would also like to mention that the toilets were disgusting. Two of the cubicles either had blood or urine on the toilet seat, which I know is down to other customers but the toilets clearly weren't attended to on a regular basis.

As we'd previously heard good things about Beluga, we did wonder if they were simply supplying sub-par food and drink for the customers who had purchased the Groupon deal. At £15 for two we weren't expecting standards akin to The Midland, and were relieved that we weren't the unfortunate few who had paid full price. I wouldn't go back, but I believe it has since ceased trading.

3  Thank AmethystAnnie
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Booked a Groupon voucher for afternoon tea for two for £15 10/3/12. Have tried to ring numerous times since with no avail. Finally discovered it has closed down. No email from Groupon but full refund received with apologies when I rang up Groupon.

I would suggest anyone else with the voucher do the same. Hope this helps!

5  Thank Carey B
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I don't know what's happened to this place since I went but it was once a favourite of mine. Maybe they have one bad member of staff that is bringing the place down. We used to go when the set menu with free wine (£20) or Al la carte 3 course with wine (£26) offers were on and they were fantastic value as the food was pretty good. Shame if it went down hill. I'm aware that it has now closed :-)

2  Thank Claramon
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Booked for Monday 14th for a Groupon £15 deal, received a voicemail 2 days beforehand saying they would be shut for refurbishment on the 14th and could I call up to rebook. I did so, and didn't complain about the inconvenience (despite my mother having to rebook her train to Manchester), but received no apology from the gentleman on the phone. I rebooked for Monday 21st May - my mother and I found the place to be closed, with a badly worded sign that said they would be shut from 14th-18th, but clearly nobody had been there since then. I received no response when I called the number on the sign, and so went to visit Beluga again today. There is a new sign explaining that they are closed permanently. This must be a very stressful time for the staff involved - but as the business still exists in Bramhall, could they not somehow have made arrangements to call affected customers?

1  Thank Pepe S