“Authentic Chinese Food, Available on an English Language menu!”
Review of Kwok Man Restaurant - CLOSED

Kwok Man Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Authentic Chinese Food, Available on an English Language menu!”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Simply delicious. Here is all about the food. Good fresh food, swift service, fair price- enjoy sampling something new and experience a taste of China for real; or go with an experienced Chinese food eater to get their favourite recommendations. I grew up on Chinese food; and this best represents my Dad's amazing Chinese cooking so far in Manchester for me!

• Visited July 2013

Disley
“Save Yourself for the Main Course”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My partner and I visited just because we fancied a chinese meal. I had visited the restaurant 12 years back when visiting Manchester for work. I now live nearby.
We chose the build your own banquet option. I like these options as it allows opportunity to sample different items from the menu.
All in all it was a top feed.
The starters was a little disappointing which may be what we ordered. We would have perferred more steamed options rather than the fried. The Hot and Sour Soup was delicious, not too spicy. The Duck was good too. By this time we were full but when the main courses came they were outstanding. Prawn with green veg contained plenty of Pak Choi and King Prawns in a tasty sauce and the Cantonese Sizzling Beef was perfect, just the right amount of sweetness. All of this service with a light, not greasy, Special Fried Rice. My only regret was eating too much before this came to the table.
We both agreed we would be back but probably just to have soup, duck and mains.
The decor is dated but reminded me of eateries in Taiwan and London's Chinatown. I am glad their focus is on the food.

• Visited September 2013
“It's not for everyone, but it should be”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Authentic Chinese food served in a very authentic setting. Pretty poor decor with more magenta than is safe in a large room and circular tables uniformly laid out. If you think that assessment is a negative, you'd be wrong. The staff are friendly if a little doddery, fresh fish paddle in their aquatic abertoire and Chinese families share vats of rice and authentic bowls of hot and sour soup, crispy duck (finished at the table), and pretty much whatever you can shack a chopstick at. If you are dressed to impress or an interior designer, don't go. If not, you can't go wong in the heart of Manchester's Chinatown.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank jonnyolly
“Delicious all the way!!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We actually love this restaurant. All the food arrived and were all delicious.
We loved it so much we went back 3 times to eat there during our very long weekend stay in Manchester.
The service was very good and they even gave us one free dish in the end.
Loved it all!

• Visited September 2013
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“content with failure”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I often find myself at kwok man at least once or twice each month but last night when I visited it was wondering what would happen tonight as something has always disappointed me.

Upon entering the restaurant there was the usual suspects, the man next to the laptop playing random mp3s, xmas music in august and some other music (poorly converted or downloaded) which was quickly changed twice.

We were seated fairly quickly (the place was only 1/10 full). We were given the special Chinese menu (the one with Chinese food on and not the poorly translated English menu).

After some discussion with the waitress we finally ordered a few dishes.

There was a nice selection of Chinese drinks. we ended up ordering a Chinese tea which was more or less like water, not too bad as it was easy to drink and it could have been worse. they are just saving a few pence on the tea that's all no big deal.

As we waited for the food while listening to jingle bells we were looking at the staff, not one member of staff had a smile and they all looked like they were not interested, could not be bothered to attend to people and were miserable.

This put us in a poor mood but we cheered each other up as we were hungry. Food came and the size of the portions seems to have shrunk again. It seems to shrink every time we go to the point I managed to get two services from one dish and normally I can get three or four.

One of the dishes contained half a duck however the pieces of duck look like it was the left overs from other dishes, all bones and no meat at all, there was a lot of fat thrown in to give it a little bulk. I am not too sure how many rear ends a duck has but I counted five!!!

On another note the fish we had was fresh and so was the veg. however I would advise ordering coke because I swore I had a pint of rola cola which was watered down.

With the food vanishing extremely fast due to the small portions we decided we better go, as we was expecting around £30 for a few dishes and drinks.

The bill came to £40 and we were charged service charge, eating in charge, and a extra drink.

Rather than challenge them we decided to leave as we were sick of the place after this.

We are never going back again and would certainly mention this to all our friends who regularly eat out in china town. This seems to be the worse experience I have had here, and it all seems to have started when one of the chefs took their own life many years ago. Maybe it is management I am not too sure, but they seem to be stuck in this bubble and have not improved the restaurant for a long time.

Even smiles on the staff would make it a lot better.

• Visited August 2013