“Good food, poor customer service”
Review of The Rice Bowl

The Rice Bowl
Ranked #57 of 2,356 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited the Rice Bowl on Saturday 18th May, due to the reviews from Trip Advisor. On arrival we were kept waiting in a small space by the stairs for 10 mins. (we had a table booked for 7.30pm) We did ask how long and was told around 20mins, so left and went for a drink in a local bar.
We returned 20 mins later and went to our table, which was quite small for 3 people, after 10mins we asked if we could order, this was now around 8.30pm. The waiter forgot my drink, and had to ask some else, and ended up with 2 drinks. When the starter arrived it was excellent, and so was the main meal, and when we got the bill we were pleasantly surprised at the cost,it was very good value.
I would recommend The Rice Bowl, but not on a Saturday evening, but would try it again at lunch time or an evening in the week.

1  Thank Janvuj123

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Visited with friends after reserving a table ( advised). Food very good but far too many tables crammed into a small place tables nearly touching each other. Seemed more concerned with packing people in than giving good service. Would I visit again -Yes - but not on a weekend evening at peak time.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went back and took my wife and (adult) son. We all enjoyed the set lunch very much and although the service wasnt quite as good as my first visit it was ok and it was quite busy. We all had spring rlls which were the best I have ever had. We then shared three mains Sweet & Sour Pork, Spicy Lamb and Thai Curry..All were very good. Had a bottle of the house white...acceptable and got free fruit and a mint with the bill. Will definately return, its probably one of the best medium priced Chinese in aand around Manchester.

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Visited The Rice Bowl with my partner and another couple in May 2013, and I will definitely be going back! The food is amazing, all home made, nothing cooked from the freezer. The portions are massive, making it excellent value for money and the service was top notch! Definitely worth a visit if you are in Manchester!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I went to eat at the Rice Bowl last Sunday with a few friends from Manchester.

The restaurant is located just a few minutes from Printworks.
As you walk in, you are taken down a flight of stairs flanked by a wonderful water feature. Although this is a basement restaurant, you do not feel a reduction in the atmosphere of the restaurant. The owners have thought about the experience from door to table, and it is all high class.
The restaurant itself is dark but elegant, with some significant centre pieces and little nods of the head to the Asian heritage.

The service was fantastic. Between every meal we were given a fresh towel to clean up. The waiters and waitresses made sure we were happy with each meal and explained each dish. From start to finish all the staff were friendly.

We went for the £25.95 per person option (Menu C):
- Spare Ribs (8/10)- Very tasty, soft and well flavoured.
- Dim Sum Combination: Pork Puff Pastry (6/10)- This is my favourite usually, but the pastry was thick like a Cornish pasty which overpowered the BBQ meat inside. Chicken and Mushroom Roll (7/10), Steak and Black Pepper Roll (7/10) and the King Prawn Roll (8/10)
- Crispy Aromatic Duck (9/10)- Amazing quantity of duck, cooked beautifully, although I would have liked some of the skin a little crispier
- Tiger Prawn in Black Bean Sauce (10/10)- Amazing dish with beautiful, large and tasty prawns. Very impressed.
- Mongolian Style Lamb (7/10)- Tasty nice, but wasn't blown away by it.
- Steak with Ginger and Spring Onion (8/10)- Very soft beef, beautifully tasting and sizzling. May be too much ginger as at some points I was eating whole strands of it, but otherwise good.
- We did not need dessert but were given a piece of melon and 2 slices of orange. It was a bit of an anti-climax and could have been presented better.

Overall the mean cost £95 for the 3 of us, which was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this place.
Total SB score of 82/100