“Something a bit different”
Review of Armenian Taverna

Armenian Taverna
Ranked #126 of 2,356 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In the shadow of Manchester's magnificent Town Hall, the Armenian Taverna is a unique experience within the city, being the only restaurant serving dishes from Armenia.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

You don't find Armenian restaurants everywhere so it was great to be able to try something new. It's sufficiently like Greek food that you're not afraid to try things, but also not like any Greek restaurant you've ever been to.

The decor is ornate, over the top, but fascinating. There are bottles and pottery and plates and vases of fake flowers, and brass and glass and all kinds of objects covering almost every surface. Plenty to look at while you wait for your food.

The baba ganouge was garlicky and rich and my partner's lamb shaslik (? - sorry, can't remember exactly what it was called) was so tender that it must have been marinaded for hours.

Beware of the coffee though. It is VERY strong, but they give you the option of a slightly less intense version. Start with that one if you're not sure.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

On arrival one might well be put off by the fact that the restaurant is through a narrow passageway and down some stairs - but it is essential to disregard this because the food is excellent and, I must say, the service was a match. We were there on a Sunday afternoon when 3 of my kids were treating me for my birthday - and it was a wonderful afternoon and early evening. The mezze was superb and I had the steak which was tasty, lean and cooked to perfection. For anyone visiting Manchester this restaurant is really worthy of a visit.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have been visiting this restaurant for a number of years now and it never disappoints. If you take the trouble to descend the steep steps then you will find a lovely little restaurant. The kofta and kebabs are great, generally bustling the restaurant is well worth a visit.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have known about this restaurant for years but until quite recently I had never been in !!! How silly of me ! Don't expect posh or stuffy just beautiful home cooked food - the mezze is amazing and the stews and kebabs are so tasty it's not expensive and is well worth a visit - I will say the owners a bit of a misery but don't let that put you off .

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We've walked past this restaurant a few times before trying it, wondering what to expect. It seems it's a well known 'hidden gem'; the sign could almost be missed as it's underground but it was quite busy for a Thursday. Being a bit tired of pretentious dining can be in the Northern Quarter and around Deansgate, we loved this place. It's cosy and intimate, with great food and a lovely atmosphere. The house wine is a very reasonable price, but we splashed out on a bottle of NZ sauvignon and were not disappointed. The mezzeh starters are excellent - both of us were left wanting more. Although I would say this restaurant would probably be appreciated more by meat-eaters (I had amazing lamb kebabs and I don't usually even like lamb that much) my dining partner had a roasted veg cous cous which he said was great. The service too was excellent - friendly and attentive. Highly recommended!!