“Popular find”

Armenian Taverna
Ranked #131 of 2,400 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the shadow of Manchester's magnificent Town Hall, the Armenian Taverna is a unique experience within the city, being the only restaurant serving dishes from Armenia.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have been visiting this restaurant for a number of years now and it never disappoints. If you take the trouble to descend the steep steps then you will find a lovely little restaurant. The kofta and kebabs are great, generally bustling the restaurant is well worth a visit.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have known about this restaurant for years but until quite recently I had never been in !!! How silly of me ! Don't expect posh or stuffy just beautiful home cooked food - the mezze is amazing and the stews and kebabs are so tasty it's not expensive and is well worth a visit - I will say the owners a bit of a misery but don't let that put you off .

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We've walked past this restaurant a few times before trying it, wondering what to expect. It seems it's a well known 'hidden gem'; the sign could almost be missed as it's underground but it was quite busy for a Thursday. Being a bit tired of pretentious dining can be in the Northern Quarter and around Deansgate, we loved this place. It's cosy and intimate, with great food and a lovely atmosphere. The house wine is a very reasonable price, but we splashed out on a bottle of NZ sauvignon and were not disappointed. The mezzeh starters are excellent - both of us were left wanting more. Although I would say this restaurant would probably be appreciated more by meat-eaters (I had amazing lamb kebabs and I don't usually even like lamb that much) my dining partner had a roasted veg cous cous which he said was great. The service too was excellent - friendly and attentive. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Went there for a friend's leaving do and found the food average and expensive.
The waiter wasn't looked very happy and I think wanted to be somewhere else!

People generally say it is great however I can only think it as average.
My food was a dish without meat in it and was mediocre.

Might try again in the future but we will see..

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My wife and I stopped here on a cold December evening. It was around nine and very quiet. We asked if they were open and the owner sat us down and treated us like kings.
The food was brilliant--lovely little portions on Vine leaves, meatballs etc..We loved it.
They kept the beer coming and at the end of the food the lovely owners sat down with us for a chat.
Sorry it took so long to write this

But a great little place--we will go back:)