“Best curry I have ever eaten”
Review of Gurkha Grill

Gurkha Grill
Ranked #345 of 2,325 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This Restaurant offers Nepalese hospitality, enchanting ambience and a five star culinary experience. The owners Raj and Neil were both trained at the 5 star Oberoi hotel and 5 star Hyatt regency Hotel in Dubai.The owners have recently appointed Mr. Saroj Karki as a head chef, He himself has too worked at the 5 star Oberoi hotel and the 5 star Holiday Inn in Kathmandu . Mr. Karki has also represented Nepal as best Nepalese culinary expert in the Singapore international food festival 2002. Mr.Karki has also cooked for Nepalese Royal palace (NARAYENHITI ), catering for the world leadersl on both official and unofficial visits.we as a restaurant have been providing family run service since 1996; winning many accolades including best restaurant in Hardens good food guide and many others, Our restaurant has been recommend by must visit restaurant in the north west by curry connoisseurs and valued customers alike
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Curries have always been a firm favourite of mine, and this Nepalese restaurant not only lived up to my high standards, it i now the place I have eaten the best curry I've ever had!

There was a lot more choice on the menu and a bit more variety than a standard Indian restaurant, and some of the dishes looked very special.

Myself and my partner had 'sekura' lamb marinated in yoghurt and spices and cooked on the tandoori-sounds simple but the meat was simply stunning! and a king prawn chilli curry which was also beautiful.

We had the sag aloo as a side and even this was the best I have tasted! the popadoms and chutneys were lovely also.

I will definitely go back and take all the family, a real treat!! Superb!!

There are newer reviews for Gurkha Grill

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I arrived at a friend's house in West Didsbury late on Thursday night a couple of weeks ago. We wanted something quick and healthy before heading out for drinks. I was reluctant to go for a curry as I'd had a few experiences recently of the curries being drowned in ghee but I was assured that the Nepalese cooking style was different and less ghee heavy. This corroborated with a recent account from a taxi driver in Preston who used to be an officer with the Gurkhas and who now predominantly eats Nepalese food on account of its healthiness and freshness. I had the Gurkhali Chicken which had all the richness and flavour of say an Indian Bhuna or Madras but without the excess ghee. It was certainly up there with the best curries that I have had. For quality of food alone, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Gurkha Grill.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Gurkha grill has to be my favourite place to eat curry. The staff are always excellent: friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The food is of the highest standard; highlights include paneer sandheko (paneer fried with lots of chilli, ginger and coriander), really good dry curries, great sauces and the sweet Nepalese naan bread. The atmosphere is good too. I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have been here 3 times no and each time had a pretty bad experience so after 3 attempts I don't think I will be returning.

On the first visit, I just put it down to a bad menu choice on my part - I ended up swapping dishes with my partner as he didn't like his curry either - we have very different tasts in curry as well so I think that says something that we were able to swap.

On my second visit our naan breads didn't arrive until we were close to finishing our curry so this was disappointing. We chased them up twice but if we had of waited for our naans before eating curry then it would have gone cold. I'm not sure why it couldn't of all been served together?

On the 3rd visit, we had a friend with us who was really keen to go so off we went - we all ordered very different curries and they all looked exactly the same - colour and consistency.
The peshwari naan was also the worst thing I have ever been served in an Indian restaurant - it was crispy and covered in seeds. not my understanding of a naan bread!!

I feel I have given Gurkha plenty of opportunity to show me a good experience and it has failed in some way every time.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Really good food, very tasty, great atmosphere, decent price for the quality and staff really lovely

1  Thank Lauren1985Manchester