“Good pint”

Mr Thomas's Chop House
Ranked #285 of 2,864 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mr Thomas's Chop House is a grade II listed building which first opened as a public house in 1870. It's cast iron frame building and terracotta block displaying Art Nouveau motifs is a local institution in Manchester and one of the jewels in Manchester's crown. The managers and staff are committed to keeping Mr Thomas's at the forefront of Manchester life with fine food, fine wines, good beer and great company. Take a look around and come and see us soon.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a couple of beers, not cheap, over £5 for a San Miguel. Didn't taste the food but did smell nice. Will return to sample the food. Quirky place, good atmosphere.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A real genuine pub where you can talk and have good ale. You normally don‘t go to a pub if you want really good food and you wan’t get it here eighther. The place doesn‘t provide much choice for someone not eating meat. The sallad is served plain without any oil or dressing. The fries are not bad. The coffe is served with a glas of chlorwater.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Bumped into this place during my walk around Manchester city center. Found it really interesting. Very authentic spot, good beer and food, reasonable prices.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Been here a couple of times now and the roast dinner is normally bang on, but the service is nothing to rave about (especially when you are charged a 10% service charge on your bill).
Upon entering the bar staff have always been super friendly and assisted us bringing drinks to our table which sets a high standard on first impression. Sadly upon entering the restaurant there is a slight shift in atmosphere,
I have had the same waitress every time I have visited (blonde, European accent) Both times we have Waited a long time for her to come and take an order, and even after finishing eating we sat for 15 minutes with empty plates Infront of us before getting up and asking her for the bill,to which she just shouted over the bar are you paying in card and asked nothing about our visit or dining experience. This server has failed to show any personality, passion about her job or hospitality both times I have been served by her. portion sizes are good, just very bland food. I had the pork belly the first time I came and it was insane. Can't say the same for the lamb or the beef me and my partner had tonight. We ordered a very regular amount and the bill came to just under £80 for 2 people which just felt like a hell of a lot of money for the service and standard of the food.
Also as a bartender a bloody Mary served in a pint made me cringe. (I understand I was getting more for my money or whatever so yeah thanks but there was no care taken in any of the service all night and that presentation really topped it off)

Date of visit: September 2019
vicchopmgr, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Mcrfood123,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your recent visit. Feedback like this is vital in helping us to continue to maintain the standards we expect of ourselves & to compete with the major chains In the city.

We're sorely disappointed to learn that your experience with us didn't meet those standards I mentioned. We'll be going through this as a team & will aim to put the issues right. I sincerely hope this doesn't deter you from visiting again.

Kind Regards,

Milo Brett

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Long thin pub with some great ales on tap and a large outdoor patio accessed via an alleyway to the side of the pub.

Well worth visiting.

Hi Drakesy!

Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon!

Many thanks,