“bland and average food with compulsory tip!”

Red Chilli Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #452 of 2,432 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We went here on a reccomendation and were disappointed. The service was very basic and, though there was a lot of it, the food was bland average and overpriced. When we came to pay the bill there was a compulsory tip added despite there only being two of us. When asked if we could reduce our tip to what we felt was a more accurate reflection of our experience we were told no! Will not be returning here and will not be reccomending it.

2  Thank Ilikegoodfoodandwine

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I was alone in Manchester on business and decided to try Red Chilli on the strength of Jay Rayner's recent review. Whilst the menu is interesting and the meal I had was OK and reasonable value, the dining experience was awful. I should probably have left after the surly "welcome", but I stayed and my evening was spoiled by the complete indifference of all the staff - I was made to feel an inconvenience. Did they have a bad day? Were they cross that I was taking a table that could have earned them more? Or looking at some of the other reviews do they need to work on their hospitality skills..... But I won't be giving them a second chance.

2  Thank Laurie P
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I ate here on Wednesday night with a colleague, after googling "best Chinese restaurant in Manchester". I haven't eaten in any other Chinese restaurants in Manchester so can't verify that claim, but it was certainly very good. We were determined to visit Chinatown and this is on the edge of it, in a basement. The decor isn't fancy or trendy, but it was comfortable, busy and the service was very efficient and friendly.
And the food? Wow! We took an easy route - rather than negotiate the huge menu, we opted for the Courtship set menu, and the food just kept on coming. To be honest it was too much for us to eat it all, but every dish was good. The duck was especially good, and the hot and sour soup.
If you're looking for a good value Chinese in central Manchester and can't decide between the hundreds of options available - go to the Red Chilli. Yummy.

2  Thank AnnaF64
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We went post theatre after having seen glowing reviews especially from Jay Rayner in the Observer. It was pretty busy compared to other places on Portland street which seemed like a good omen.

However the welcome was charmless and indifferent, beer when it came was luke warm and it felt very shabby.

We had read that the menu was very authentic and it was certainly an interesting read although we were not adventurous enough to try the more challenging offal dishes!

A shared duck starter was fine but our issues were with the main courses. They were around £10 a head which is probably about average for town. I had a dish of the special menu that was basically chicken with peanuts and dried chillies. Jimbo had a more daring dish of Szechuan crusted mutton ribs (yuck yuck)

The ribs came in a big bowl and were unmistakably sheep's ribs- just that- a big bowl of very fatty and bony looking grey ribs with a lip numbing crust.

My chicken was just awful. So much peanut and just dry, and for a tenner the chicken was just crap quality. Tiny bits of chewy, gristly meat. Chicken isn't an expensive dish, I kind of expected some white meat for full main course prices, this isn't street food.

Service was not friendly- we felt rushed and unwelcome. Plus when I went upstairs to the loo (it's in a basement) the stairs and the toilet were grotty and the fire escape door was wedged open onto a rancid alley by bags of stinking food waste.

Not to be repeated for us - only gets a two as the duck starter was good.

4  Thank hobbesmanc
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is not a typical English-Chinese restaurant. The first clue that something is different comes from the customers - almost the majority are Chinese families. The dishes are quite clearly specialist Chinese dishes, not the dishes you'd expect to find in Peking Court or Pan Asia. Although you can still order your prawn toast and Satay Chicken Skewer.

The quality of the food was excellent. I have eaten once before on business - this time it was with the family and the dishes suited everyone. The Chilli dishes are my favourite.

Service and value for money definitely here. Well worth a visit especially if you fancy something out of the ordinary like Frogs legs or Oxtail!

2  Thank Antelope0206