“Did they have special training on how to offer bad service?!”

Red Chilli Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #406 of 2,370 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Went to Red Chilli as wanted to have the lunch menu - the last couple of times we had visited the Oxford Road branch and ordered off the regular menu but just wanted something quick, simple and cheaper this time. The service was very average, there wasn't really anyone at the door to welcome you. We were shown a seat and it was quite busy with Chinese diners. I asked for the lunch menu from the person who looked like the manager and he pulled a face - perhaps he didn't think a Chinese should be ordering from the set menu? Why bother having a set menu when you're going to be rude to people who order from it? That really put me off. Anyways we ordered the hot and spicy soup - which was more sweet than peppery which was what it used to be. We also had spring rolls and the spring onion pancake which were cooked fresh and tasty. For mains I had the beef with spring onion and ginger and my husband had the chicken kung po - the latter is not very authentic and it's served with peanuts rather than cashew nuts, but my husband enjoys the flavour so we have ordered it a few times. The egg fried rice was pretty lacklustre - didn't taste as good as it used to. While taking our order, the waitress was busy passing the a la carte menus they had given us to people arriving at another table - they have obviously had training in how to be distracted and how not to offer good service. The food in general was good, though some things could have been better. The service, pretty dismal. We decided not to leave the tip as the service was not worthy of it. When we left, not a word of goodbye or thanks. Will not be rushing back to Red Chilli anytime soon!!

3  Thank doofvfood

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Was a bit concerned with some of the reviews but glad I tried it myself. I've now been 3 times in the last couple of months. It's great value food and you can keep coming here and finding new dishes to try.

Whether you like this or not may depend on your expectations. This isn't a place for fine dining but is excellently produced basic food and a chance to explore a range of flavours you won't find anywhere else. Not a place if you have a favourite chinese dish and are looking for the best version of it.

Every dish seems designed for sharing - go with a group of 4 and get 2 or 3 starters and 2 or 3 mains and you'll probably have more than enough food. One one visit I had salt and pepper baby squid as a starter for £4.50 and frankly if I'd have been there at lunch then that with some stir fried veg on the side would have been a meal in itself.

There are strong flavours here aren't just spicy but down to a different range of ingredients than people may be used to. Some of the best food may put a traditional british diner off. I had braised beef belly in a noodle soup which wasn't spicy but has a strong flavour that many won't be familiar with (last time I had beef belly was probably 1983!). The offal dishes here are fantastic but offal seems to have disappeared from the british diet as food has become cheaper and people just stick to prime cuts.

Toilets are a bit basic and it is like walking through a janitors closet. The crockery is looking a bit tired as well and the staff can be a bit grumpy. That can be hard to square with the reputation it's gained and the way people rave about it - depends what you look for in a chinese restaurant.

1  Thank John H
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The place we planned to go was closed so the nearest place was the Red Chilli. Would certainly go again as the lunch was £5.50, a bargain and very tasty. The four of us had a different meal & each was was very delicious. Good service & obvious it was all freshly cooked. Obviously as we hadn't planned to go I didn't read the reviews before hand. Yes it could do with a little refurb but didn't seem dirty to us.

1  Thank Barbara H
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Food was aweful laiden with salt, place is very dirty dred to think what the kitchen is like, staff couldn't care less!! was in the toilet and a cockroach ran past the loo!! Discuting !! should be closed down in my opinion

1  Thank Croydon21lad
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had a nice evening meal there. You will immediately be greeted by 2 "red chilli" statues bowing to you at the door. They have quite a number of spicy delicacies. The dishes were bit too flavoursome to me i would say. Service was good environment is just perfect for a meal with family and friends.