“A mixed experience I am afraid and I have been to China”

Red Chilli Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #384 of 2,274 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
UK
“A mixed experience I am afraid and I have been to China”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The restaurant is certainly fashionable and you will see chinese customers but do not assume that this means authentic food. I have visited Beijing with a chinese colleaugue and eaten well and cheaply there at working mens restaurants as well as posh tourist places. Although I agree the food is different from the average chinese restaurant in Manchester it still comes nowhere near the Yan Sing or Lttle Yang Sing. Our experience was mixed. First the reception. We did not book but arrived around 6.00pm to find the restaurant nearly empty and had no difficulty finding a table for four adults and two children but it soon filled up. We started with the mixed dim sum platter and the crispy duck with pancakes which are the same virtually anywhere. Sadly the pancakes were cold. The dim sum consisted of seaweed, chicken satay, spring rolls and sesame toast. The chicken was as dry as cardboard but the real problem here was the grease. My experiences in China and elsewhere in Manchester have led me to conclude that deep frying hardly leaves a residue at all but a rather unpleasant tasting and green looking oil covered the plate.

By the time the main coarses arrived the tablle was covered in crumbs of food (two children) but no one bothered to clean the table. The main coarses however were much better. in quality. The poached hot spicy sea bass was delicious and rapidly disappeared. The pork joint was tender and tasty. The garlic pak choi was delicate and welcome. The tofu with mince meat was way too salty and most of it was left.

I wanted to give this restaurant three circles but this meant average it is not average because so many dishes are different. I have to say that I could not give it four as it cannot be described as very good either.

• Visited October 2012

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good food, spicy”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Decent service, I think they were a little too busy to pay full attention to the dining room. Food is ok, it was my first time and would go back again. Portions are large, but everything is spicy which is ok for me. Just not a place or groups of diners, I would recommend max 4pax

Singapore, Singapore
“Good Chinese Food”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Reasonable priced Chinese food which remains rather authentic. The food portions are big. It also comes with white rice which when for two person you can get around 1.5 bowls each.

Manchester, UK
“Great”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Really tasty food at reasonable prices, considering how big the portions are! The hotpots are huge!!!

Visited September 2012
UK
“One of the best Chinese restaurants in Manchester”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions and with both adults and children, small and large groups. The quality of both service and food has always been high. This restaurant is not flash and does not pretend to be something that it isn't. The food is well prepared and portion sizes are generous. The staff are always friendly and happy to help.,

The menu generally provides a mix of traditional chinese dishes with those that may be more familiar to Western or European diners.

I will continnue to visit the Red Chilli as I have yet to leave disappointed.

• Visited July 2012