“Couldn't get us out fast enough”
Review of Siam Orchid - CLOSED

Siam Orchid
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We visited the restaurant after 10 pm. We weren't made aware that time might be tight in advance of sitting down - food decent enough. However we weren't even offered a coffee, just presented with the bill as soon as our mains were finished followed by the lights being switched on! In addition to this mains plates removed while others still eating. Shame but the lack of enthusiasm for our custom means a return trip is def out of the question. I understand if the restaurant was closing but a time limit should be made on arrival not on the speedy departure.

There are newer reviews for Siam Orchid

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We called in at Siam Orchid for a pre-theatre meal. The service was efficient and quick which was what we wanted. The staff were very cheerful and friendly and the food was excellent and very authentic. Perhaps a little over-priced for what it is but I suppose rents/rates on Portland Street are expensive. My only criticism is that the toilets are tatty. They bough what looked like decent slate tiles then employed a drunken blind man with one hand to stick them on.

All in all - recommended.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The food here was fantastic but the portions were really small. Above average quality but the portions left us hungry afterwards.The waiting staff were very blunt, unattentive and rude. One waitress pretty much threw our food at us and cleared us before I had finished eating. I think that service is half of the whole event of dining out. As we dined, the waitresses were all sat at a table next to the bar giggling like school girls, pulling faces and generally making the atmosphere of the restaurant uncomfortable. The music that they played throughout was an 80s CD which had been repeated in the 45 minutes that we diner, probably a 5 track CD so the atmosphere was not too great.
Overall would not recommend as the service was pants.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

went today with a friend for lunch. it's my second time in siam orchid - the last time i went was years ago! there was only one waitress and service was good (though she was also eating lunch at the same time as trying to serve us, so it was a bit weird). my friend came with her baby and the restaurant didn't have a high chair which was a shame. i ordered the thai prawn crackers with mince/ prawn dip while waiting for my friend and it was beautifully presented and the dip was really tasty! then for the main my friend had chicken pho which looked good though the portion looked a bit miserable. i had a spicy fried flat noodle with crispy belly pork. the dish was very tasty, and nicely presented but the crispy pork was a bit tough which was disappointing. i had checked out the menu online before going to the restaurant and it seemed the actual menu in the restaurant had higher prices than what was online (most noticeable were the prices against the pho dishes), so it was a bit misleading. overall, it's a nice restaurant which is pleasantly decorated, but the food is pretty pricey - might be a good idea for them to have a better value lunch menu to draw in the crowds. the experience is above average, but doesn't justify a 'very good' rating, unfortunately. wouldn't mind returning, but there are better value thai restaurants in manchester.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The food here is OK, nothing special, and there is better Thai food to be had in Manchester. The portions are very generous indeed though, my veggie laab salad was very nice, the curry to follow pretty average. The service though was very good and the place itself absolutely spotless. A shame they don't seem to do lunchtime or early evening deals, it would bring in more custom if they did. The menu was quite large and included lots of veggie options, as well as a section of Vietnamese fare (my friend had a huge bowl of white noodle and meat soup). I will give them another go at some point.