“Excellent food - shame about the service”
Review of Cachumba - CLOSED

Cachumba
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2013

It was our first visit to Cachumba tonight. We selected the Rice Table for three and the food was excellent. Plenty of it, and all very very tasty.

Unfortunately the service was so poor it took the edge off what would have been an excellent evening out. Whilst we sat there two separate groups came in, sat at a table, and then left after being totally neglected by the front-of-house lady.

Different groups repeatedly had to request service, their bill, etc and it was verging on Fawlty Towers by the end. The only saving grace (other than the very good food) was the young boy who was waiting on tables also. He couldn't have been more than 13 years old and put the other two waiting staff to shame!!

So - if you are happy to tolerate poor front-of-house for the benefit of some really tasty food then Cachumba is for you.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The food was phenomenal – really tasty dishes in a lovely calming Asian style restaurant with lovely ambiance and candle light.

HOWEVER the portion sizes were TINY. My friend and I were left scraping the bowls and considered ordering more. But we’d already spent an average amount of money for the meals so far and didn’t fancy waiting for more food.
We went for a desert instead, but the same simple mistake occurred again, simply leaving us consumers short of a decent feed. Just as delicious as the main course, but we had merely a couple of spoonfuls each. And its not cheap.

Left feeling hungry.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hello All,

If anyone read the review titled 'Urgent Please Contact Me' and took this to be anything more than a request for contact from Cachumba then please allow me explain and read on..,. this is the real review for my experience at Cachumba....

We visited Cachumba for my friends 30th, initially the table was for 15 and food and price had been prearranged earlier that day. Unfortunately only 12 of our party could make it and as everything had been prearranged much to the credit and organisation of the owner, when the bill arrived it was naturally more than expected. To avoid the usual I had this I ordered that drink etc I paid the full bill with view to resolve any queries later. When I spoke to owner she was very pleasant and very helpful and it it became clear very quickly it was a simple misunderstanding. I resolved everything with my friend and we are happy.

So our experience of Cachumba, overall it was an absolute pleasure, we all had a great time! The atmosphere at Cachumba is lovely, very relaxed and comfortable. Great for couples, groups of friends and families too, we had a little one in our group and she seemed to tuck in with the rest of us and enjoy the food. The food itself is high quality and really tastey, theres a good selection and as it's presented in a tapas type way, everyone can share and try the dishes. This was a unique experience and it added to social atmosphere. Very enjoyable.

A personal thank you to the owner, its clear why this restaurant has been running for almost 20 years. nothing is too much trouble and the service, food and atmosphere is personal. I will be returning soon.

Thank you.

Hayley.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Went to this restaurant last night with my husband. We dine in West Didsbury regularly but have always overlooked Cachumba. We fancied trying somewhere new and we were not disappointed! We opted for the Rice Table - the banquet-style option for which the restaurant is well known. We received about 5 dishes along with rice and flatbread - and all were delicious. The dhal in particular was stunning. The flavours were fresh and the dishes were interesting - this was not your typical unhealthy-feeling curry. The portions were also perfect - plenty to fill us up but not overfacing. It was also pleasing that there were some vegetable options within the banquet - too often a meal out means foregoing your greens, but not here.

There was a good range of drinks on offer and the waiter was lovely - very friendly. The atmosphere is relaxed and the Eastern-inspired decor suits the venue. The only tiny gripe was that my husband had to ask twice for a second drink - perhaps a second member of waiting staff would be welcome on a busy Friday night - but otherwise this was a great venue and we will be back!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We ordered the rice table between four, 9 very different all mild to medium and didnt clash. Plenty of great veg dishes that even us meat eaters loved.