“Tasty and accommodating!”
Review of Ning - CLOSED

Ning
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Description: Manchester might be awash with slick dining outfits but none quite like Ning. Unlike many others, Ning values subtlety and sophistication both in its style and its cuisine. This Northern Quarter venue offers a bustling ambience somewhere between trendy canteen and chic bistro. With polished wood tables, voguish floral patterned wallpaper and candlelit tables, the interior strikes a similar balance of fashionable buzz meets classy intimacy. Award-winning, the predominately authentic Malaysian menu also offers Thai and fusion dishes, all made with fresh ingredients, free from added MSG. Ning's accomplished chefs pride themselves on producing a concise menu of carefully selected and well cooked dishes, and service is attentive without being over-bearing. Malaysian hospitality and food.
Reviewed July 14, 2014

It was our wedding anniversary and we decided to visit Ning at the last minute.

Then food as always is of a very good standard - I had the Masaman Curry whilst my wife had the seabass.

We were given dessert on the house, which was a nice touch (even though we were completely full by this point!)

Their banana fritters were fantastic; will be coming back just for those!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Having had a very disappointing meal at this restaurant last month, we were very surprised to find a much better Malaysian restaurant in the West End of London a fortnight later. We had very similar dishes but not only were the ones in London more delicious, authentic and bigger portion, the cost was a lot less. So much for value in Manchester.

The rice that came with our satay dish at Ning was no more than 2 squeezed balls of rice from a rice cooker. We had the proper rice 'cake' cooked in some sort of leaves in the London restaurant. The beef rendang at Ning was most disappointing. At first we thought we must have chosen the chef's off-night but having spoken to some friends, they told us they had the same experience a month earlier.

1  Thank Disappointed924
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Went here for a meal with my partner after work. It was about 18:00 so the restaurant was very quiet and we had exceptional service. I love the unique drink options they serve. I had a lychee juice and my partner had the sirap ross limau (a traditional Malaysian drink). If you like tasting new things then I'd recommend trying the latter as it had a really unique flavour. I had the Tom Yam soup for my starter which was extremely tasty. My partner had the chicken satay. I snuck a taste of of the satay sauce and it was to die for! My main course was the ginger prawns which was again full of flavour and they were very generous with the prawns. We shared the cashew nut brownie with chilli & chocolate ice cream for dessert. The dish came with fresh strawberry and physalis fruit which complimented the chocolate well. If you visit Ning you must try the chilli & chocolate ice cream - it's got a lovely kick to it!

1  Thank Nathalie_Smilovici
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Excellent food and service! Soft shell crabs and Roti Canari with a wonderfully tasty, peanutty sauce to start. Then Beef Gulai, which was rich and flavoursome, as was the Kari Ikan (the lovely blend of spices worked beautifully with the salmon, tomatoes and okra). My friend and I also had the Nasi Goreng as an accompaniment, which was perhaps a little over-ambitious as the portions are so generous. The bottle of Argentinian red that was recommended to us was just the right complement to the robust flavours of the food, cutting through them nicely. The restaurant's hostess for the evening was charm itself, guiding us through the menu with knowledge and passion for the food; she is a real asset to the place. I am looking forward to going back again!

1  Thank IJPMcr
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I think it's important to say that i don't think Ning is a bad restaurant however whilst the company was excellent the experience, food and service tonight was overall disappointing and underwhelming.The starter i had cost over £7 but it tasted nice. The main i had which cost over £15 i did not enjoy at all. The service was slow in terms of how long it took to get drinks and the meals came at varying times. Which seemed strange as it was not full ! I have to say the staff seemed nice and i have read that a lot of people have enjoyed there experience at Ning however tonight i went home disappointed, hungry and with £35 less in my pocket. I would recommend to anyone who wanted tastey asian cuisine to try Tampopo on Albert Square or at The Triangle.