“Not that special and overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mark Addy - CLOSED

Mark Addy
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
“Not that special and overpriced”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Had a very good reputation many years ago, but now it is nothing special. Has a nice outside seating area for the summer months overlooking the river.

• Visited November 2013

“Where is the Cheese - Pate - Pickles - Bread?!?!?!?!”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I've heard people rave about this place and the chef and I remember the times when you got a good size piece of Cheese etc - not now - but anyway Im not complaining as we really enjoyed our visit and the food was good for the price - more choice on the menu and I will be back and maybe the size of portions as I love my food. Not a bad price for what you get. Location good - 5minutes from Salford Central Train Station. Love the shape of the building - remember going there when I was studying doing my degree all them years ago with my mates. Very little has changed. Staff friendly & helpful - good atmosphere but I think I need to be really pushed to visit it again but my visit wasn't all that bad.

Seattle, Washington
“You 'Reviewers' Need to Give Your Head a Shake”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

That this restaurant has such a low rating on TA is a crime. I live in the US and this was my second time eating here. The first time, it was recommended by my hotel. This time I went looking for it. The food it local, fresh, very well prepared, the people are wonderful and the building is an architectural treasure. What more do you need - seriously.

• Visited November 2013
Yorkshire
“Good, but not as good as the old days”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Visited on a bright Thursday lunchtime and for the first time on about 15 years.
I went to see if the ploughman's lunch of old was still available; it was but it was quite a variation.
No big chunks of bread, or pickles or lumps of cheese. It was all very orderly. Still very good and filling but; well, just not as good as the old days as several people on here have already stated; and possibly why it was really quiet when years ago it would be packed (although admittedly there's no more competition now).
A bit tired around he edges but still highly recommended.

Preston, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable dinner, but for one thing...”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

As with other reviewers it was the first time I'd been in years. The service was attentive, the food was excellently cooked and well presented. Traditional English fare with a little twist. Everything should have been in place for a wonderful evening. Unfortunately when we were offered a choice of either a dining booth or a table in the centre of the room I chose the booth because I thought it would help me hear the conversation better. That proved to be a bad choice. The benches are sufficiently wobbly so that every time the young "rugby player build" leaned back I got thrown forwards in to my food. My mother would have said he had "ants in his pants" and so the bench was moving with every mouthful and sip of wine. I'd have rather eaten in the dining car of the Flying Scotsman on a record breaking run.

We were told they were going to close after Christmas for a bit of a refurbishment, but with around a year left on the lease I don't expect major improvements. Still worth going but a proper table in the centre of the restaurant is the place to sit.