“Fab food(meaty) and great service”

The Grill On The Alley
Ranked #193 of 2,399 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Have been here a few times and love to steak it and wine it here, among the best places for this in Manchester. Have to book in advance especially on weekends. The service isn't hurried and is a good place to relax for the evening. At a good location and lots of places to go after and before.

Nicola W, Front Office Manager at The Grill On The Alley, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Grill on The Alley.
I am glad to read that you had an amazing experience here!
Some of the sorrounding bars are actually part of the same company. The Alchemist and Australasia are really good bars with a buzzing vibe, you should check them out! After eating with us first of course!
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grill very soon!
Nicola Wallace

Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We went here with a group of friends to celebrate a friends birthday. The atmosphere is great and I couldn't fault the service. The steaks were all perfect aside from one slightly undercooked which they were more than happy to rectify.

I would definitely recommend this place for an evening out with friends.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Grill on The Alley.
I am glad to read that you and your friends had a great time here.
Should you wish to book another large party we will only be too happy to accomadate you.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grill very soon!

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We booked an early table at Grill on the Alley on Friday and as it was only a shade after 4 it was of course quiet. I took my daughter as part of a weekend of fun after she excelled in School. So it proves that while excellence is its own reward it also comes with home cooked chips.............We are both true carnivores and despite her tender age at just 12 she knows what a good steak is. We decided to share a Chateau Briand and added a peppercorn sauce as she is not a bernaise fan, the dish also came with fine beans tossed in a little garlic and as I mentioned home cooked chips. We both decided on Mocktails while we waited and whilst she went for a watermelon and guava I think it was mine was blended with ginger syrup and fresh mint and was incredibly refreshing and at 4 quid actually great value.
We waited maybe 20 mins for the steak at it can take a while to cook of course given the size of the piece of meat being prepared, and it was worth every single moment of patience, the food was cooked to perfection the service in itself does justice to the experience as a whole, I cant comment on how the guys cope when it is mobbed but I noted great attention to detail and a calm and professional demeanour from everyone in there and I cant wait to come back to the UK and visit for another classy dinner,.................. Well done guys and thankyou for first class service and food

Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We visited here for husbands birthday and had a 9.30pm reservation. We arrived a little early and were happy to get a drink at the bar, however we weren't told at this point that we were going to have to wait 30mins after our booked reservation for the table.

This aside, the food and the waiter service we received were both great. My husband had the t-bone steak, which melted in the mouth and I had the sirloin, which was also yummy! The food seemed reasonably priced, however the drinks were a little pricey.

Would return but please don't continue to overbook.

Nicola W, Front Office Manager at The Grill On The Alley, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Grill on The Alley. While I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and service I am disappointed to read that you waited a long time for your table.
I do remember the night you dined with us and please be assured that a normal Saturday service is normally much smoother!
Please be assured that we take each incident such as this as a learning curve and will endeavour to ensure that in future on busy nights we will have a slicker turn around with tables.
Should you wish to book again please book your table direct with myself and I can make sure that there is no wait for you to sit down.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Alley soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Went with my husband for his birthday meal. We booked a table in advance for our mid-week evening meal and was glad we had as the restaurant was full. We were first seated under the air-con which meant there was a draft and it was a little chilly, and was pleased that on asking our waiter moved us into the centre of the restaurant. We ordered drinks, plenty to choose from, and liked how there were British ales highlighted in the best of British menu. We had garlic rub bread to start with, but felt rubbing the garlic into the bread didn't leave much of a garlic flavour. We last had the garlic rub bread a few years ago at Grill on the Alley and recall bigger bulbs of garlic and this giving a tasty flavourful dish. Texture and concept was lovely though. I had a sharing starter platter for my main. The calamari was perfectly cooked. Duck spring rolls would have been nice moister - perhaps saucy filling? The dipping sauce helped immensely. Chicken was breast meat and OK, but again a little dry. With regards to my fish cake, one was underdone - very wet and the other one cooked. Cooked one was nice, and I enjoyed the dipping sauces provided. Had garlic crusted potatoes - crispy garlicy potatoes. I loved them. My husband went for the Wagyu beef after questioning the waiter, Stuart, about the quality of the meat. Stuart was lovely, and answered the questions we asked, even if it meant finding out from other staff the answers. The 225g was not cheap but my husband enjoyed it very much and had no regrets ordering it. We had a lovely night out, and it was helped by the live music and our waiter who did is best to make sure we had a good time.