“Great Second Visit”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Holywell, United Kingdom
“Great Second Visit”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Our initial visit to the Grill on the Alley was following a recommendation from a colleague. A pleasant meal and evening ensued and perhaps bravely, we ventured to try the 'Waku' steak, which completely blew us away.

Consequently, we returned in December and though we were caught up in the festivities and office parties, which made the restaurant a tad noisy. The steak however, was fabulous again and we're looking forward to our next visit at some time in the future.

I'd recommend booking, as we would have struggled for a table, had we not have done so.

• Visited December 2013

“Loads better then The Grill on NY Street”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Me and my partner visited this restaurant for lunch on Saturday using the 50% area. We was a few minutes early however the manager offered to take us to our table straight way (which was great as we was starving). For Saturday afternoon I felt the restaurant was quite quiet but it had a nice atmosphere. I ordered the standard burger and my partner ordered the fajitas. Both meals tasted lovely and we both agreed that we would have been happy paying full price. We visited the sister restaurant a few weeks ago and hated it. I would recommend visiting this restaurant instead.

London
“Nice steak ..... and extremely tasty chips”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went here for a girly lunch and it was a very good choice, especially with the half-price January sale. I had calamari for starters, which was perfect. Couldn't decide between roast beef Sunday lunch or T-bone steak and decided on the latter and was happy with my choice. I had the steak with Diane sauce and had it medium ... it tasted good, however was slightly tough and I was struggling a bit with my knife. But the chips were absolutely amazing and one of the nicest that I have ever tasted. Topped off the meal with a sticky toffee pudding with custard which was also good. The service was ok, although quite slow asking about drinks and bringing cutlery for the food. Am planning on bringing my other half here, but will go for a different cut of steak.

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Worth another visit”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This is my second time I have been to Grill on the Alley, the first time we sat downstairs which was nice and it wasn't very busy as we had an early sitting. The second time was a Monday evening, it was extremely busy and having pre- booked our table of 4 when we arrived we were told that the reservation had not been made, although a manager had a vague recollection of the booking as my sibling has an unusual name as is also a Living Venture staff member at a different restaurant. We were told we would have to wait for a table, looking around at everyone waiting it didn't look promising, after 30 minutes we nearly decided to go elsewhere however we were told it would be another 10 minutes so rather than find somewhere else we thought we would stick it out. We sat on the main floor this time and the tables are quite close together with not much space around, there was also live music which was very loud when you are trying to have a conversation. During our wait we had ordered drinks at the bar so when we got to our table there were more wine glasses and water glasses, we filled up what we needed but it took a long time for someone to clear the not needed glasses, as we didn't have much space on the table to begin with. Just a trivial thing. Our waiter was fantastic, I couldn't fault him. He was very helpful with menu choices and didn't leave us waiting too long to order etc. I would come here again but if you don't eat meat there is not a lot of choice, i realise this place is specific to specialise in steak but nowadays there is almost always a vegetarian option.The only other thing is that a couple of side dishes had been taken off the menu since the first time I came, and I had recommended them to my friend so I was a bit disappointed to be told they were no longer on the menu

• Visited January 2014
Nicola W, Front Office Manager at The Grill On The Alley, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Grill on The Alley.
Please accept my apologies for the problems you had at check in and waiting for drinks.
I am glad you received good service from one of our waiters and I am glad you enjoyed the food you had.
Should you wish to come back please make your booking direct through myself and I will ensure to get you a good table and will be well looked after.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Grill in the near future.
Kind regards
Nicola
Rochdale
“Fantastic food and service.”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went to the Grill on the Alley as a group of 10 work colleagues. We had got a half price deal on Groupon.
The service was really good and the food was amazing.
I had the special fillet steak and it was cooked to,perfection.
The atmosphere was relaxing and friendly.
We had a table next to the kitchens which you could see into and they were immaculate.
All in all a great night and at a bargain price.
Well worth a visit.