“Lunch with family”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went to the Grill on the Alley in Manchester on my birthday in November and had a lovely meal. I went with my husband and his sister and after an upsetting morning (it's a long story) we enjoyed a good meal and a few glasses of wine.

The staff at the restaurant were very friendly and made us feel at home.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,079)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went to Grill on New York St in November (and have visited both Manchester restaurant's previously), so were on the e-mail list for the 50% off food in January. We booked for the Sunday before returning to work after Christmas as a treat, and it really was. I was driving, so we didn't drink much, but the sharing starter, a t-bone, a fillet, two chips, two of the brilliant green beans, some carrot and swede mash and a couple of nice beers were just over £50.

The only issue was that there was a small bone in one of the fish cakes, but that was not really an issue. Fish have bones and sometimes they sneak past the chef.

The pianist playing the balearic yacht rock classic, Theme from Hill Street Blues, was a nice treat too.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My partner and I went here without a reservation for lunch after stumbling across the restaurant while browsing around Manchester. We were greeted by a slightly snooty hostess, who seemed surprised when we said we didn't have a reservation but told us we could wait while a table became available. No 'hello welcome, how are you...' I could understand if we were turning up at Claridges, or the Fat Duck, but this restaurant had a 'pub-casual' feel to it from the out and inside and so didn't expect that kind of 'welcome'. Actually, I bet Claridges and other Michelin star restaurants have a much better reception! This was like a 'stereotype' of what a snooty restaurant may be like!

Food: The starters we chose (Calamari/Duck Rolls) were AMAZING, really delicious. You could taste it was fresh, perfectly cooked, seasoned... Brilliant, can't complain.
The burgers however were nothing to shout about, and have had much better in other places. I hate to say considering the reviews and price you pay, but realistically, the burgers are along par with places such as Byron, GBK, or other chain 'posh' burger joints. By no means am I saying it was a 'bad' burger, it was pretty good! But nothing spectacular. Perhaps the other mains are much better? In addition the chips were not very good, they needed a good splash of vinegar to give them a better flavour and take away the 'dryness' of them. Disappointed in those.

Service from the other staff was good. There were some really friendly and attentive waiters and servers and its a shame it was let down by that welcome.

We chose not to have any desert, as sadly a family with a screaming baby were placed right next to us. In a place where you can pay £50 for a steak, I'd be unhappy with that spoiling my lunch!

Would I come back? Probably not... Would I say this is a must go place? - Actually, Yes. Those starters we ate were great, but I'd chose something different from the burgers as your main and make sure you go later evening to avoid the families with noisy kids!! Lets hope they sort their service out!

1  Thank worldoyster31
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend were recommended to come here and glad we did! Customer service was excellent and there was plenty of staff around. Food was gorgeous and there was a lot of choice on the menu. I opted for the fillet steak and my boyfriend went for the lobster and the portion size was satisfying. I would be recommending this restaurant to everyone!

1  Thank crightl82
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were recommend The Alley by friends so booked a month in advance so we could have a booth
when we arrived in Manchester we popped in during the day to check our reservation 7.30 great we departed and returned at 7pm for pre dinner drink.
My partner wanted a proseco and i ordered a Gin & Tonic bar man said have you got a table we replied
yes but not been allocated it he required a credit card to buy drinks i said i would get the table number
it took 10 minutes to find our reservation ! so i returned to bar to pay cash for our drinks i was then told we do not serve proseco by the glass only bottle would you like a white wine its very similar !
the wine was dry and my partner did not finish it, my gin did not come with tonic no idea what they squirted into it with a pump but it was flat and we were charge £14.50 !!! i wish i had complained there and then but we did not want the hassle of leaving and finding another place to eat, we were seated next to the kitchen in the end booth... terribly noisy every time chef had a dish ready she screamed service its a very busy restaurant and the screech became very annoying also every finished plate and new plate had to pass us i was brushed past 100s of times by waiters.
Regards food we chose starters and main my starter was not available nor my duck main so had to start again i had the fried squid starter tiny tasteless dish that i sent back half finished when my main arrived belly pork with scallops 3 cold scallops with 4 slithers of belly pork although nice it was not worth the £13.50 price tag and left me still very hungry
Overall the experience was poor and with only a few pounds change from £80 to leave still hungry is not a good experience.
Over the weekend we ate at carluccio’s and jamie Olivers both experiences were excellent and our bill was half the price !

1  Thank mark c