“Much ado about nothing”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Had a very enjoyable evening here with friends, good food, good atmosphere, good wine. Minor issue with starter was discreetly resolved and management went out of their way as we could have made a real fuss. Would definitely go back.

Michelle w, Guest Relations Manager at The Grill On The Alley, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor and glad to hear that your issue with the starter was rectified. We always ensure that our customers have the best dining experience here at the Grill so we do like to go that extra further! Glad to hear that you will be visiting us again soon and if you would like to make a reservation please don't hesitate to contact me on manchesterbdm@blackhouse.uk.com!

Business Development Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,034)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Grill on the Alley is a pretty run of the mill, middle road restaurant in my opinion. The atmosphere was ok, though our table below the very shabby looking skylight was pretty drafty. Our waiter was very chatty and helpful, recommending craft beers to my enthusiast partner. The food was nothing more than OK. I had moules frites, which was pretty pathetic - tiny mussels that had seen better days and certainly didn't taste fresh. The portion was also very small, more like a starter size. Accompanying chips was nice enough. My partner had a ribeye steak, which was very tasty, probably a much better choice than mine. However the price was pretty steep, and I say that with London prices in mind (my hometown). I'm not sure I would go back.

Hi there,

Many thanks for your feedback during your last visit at the Grill and we are sorry to hear that you wasn't entirely satisfied with your dining experience. Your comments have been passed on to the Senior Management Team and we'd really like to have the opportunity to discuss this in further detail. I would be really grateful if you could send me your contact details and give us the chance to get in touch. My email address is manchesterbdm@blackhouse.uk.com and very much look forward to hearing from you soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I've been here a number of times but only ever as a couple. The food, the service, and everything else has always been excellent so I chose this place for a meal to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. This review, therefore, is written in the context of a group of 9 people dining at 5.30 on a saturday night. I must admit I had my doubts as to whether the experience would be as good as when I had dined as a couple. Would they allow us to bring a cake in? Would they let us tie a balloon to her chair? Would we get 9 meals served at the same time? Would everyone enjoy it? etc, etc, etc. I was worried when I walked in and the place was absolutely packed. However, my worries were unfounded. The food was superb - it arrived at the table hot and everyone had their starter or main course served within a minute of each other. It was also excellent quality and at a price that was good for city centre Manchester. The service was outstanding. You get an allocated waiter but if you want anything and grab the nearest waiter they sort you out quickly. They brought the cake out with candles without making a big cheesy fuss, the balloons were put on the table, and nothing was a problem for the staff all night. I can't really add much else. There were no negatives at all. I can't really recommend a particular dish as everyone had a different starter and a different main course and all enjoyed their food. Because we were a large party there was a 10% discretionary service charge that we happily paid. In fact, everyone was so happy with the service that they got some extra cash left on the plate at the end. The food was superb, but the service was absolutely outstanding considering how busy it was. I will happily go there again, be it as a couple or a larger group.

Hi there!

Thank you for your kind comments! Glad your party had a great time with us and it was a 21st Birthday to remember! We really do pride ourselves with our customer service and always try to accommodate wherever possible! Do let us know when you're visiting us again and we'll be sure to say hello! If you would like to make another reservation please don't hesitate to contact me on manchesterbdm@blackhouse.uk.com and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Went here on the basis of good tripadvisor reviews, but left feeling a bit disappointed with the quality of the food and the noisy atmosphere - more trendy pub than restaurant. The live music was good though quite intrusive when combined with the background noise from a busy establishment. Couldn't fault the service though, our waiter Paul was charming and attentive.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback during your last visit at the Grill. We're sorry to hear that it didn't meet to your expectations and your comments have been passed on to our Senior Management Team. With this in mind, we would like to take this opportunity to get in touch with you to discuss this further. We would be grateful if you could email me your contact details to manchesterbdm@blackhouse.uk.com and we will be on contact.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Visited this place with my other half on a Friday night. Was seated at a nice table by friendly staff and was given a very attentative waitress. The garlic rub bread off the nibbles menu was a little bazaar and was basically toast and oil with a bulb of garlic for you to rub on the toast. Didnt get the appeal to be honest. Thai fish cakes were tasty though!
I had the rump cooked rare. The flavour was lovely but it was so fatty that I could barely cut it and it took me forever to eat! I've had better from sainsburys.
Sides were very nice and the steak sauces were incredible.
Didn't stay for desert but they did look nice!
Not overly pricy but I would recommend spending a bit more and going for the fillet as a minimum, the cheaper cuts aren't worth it.

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback during your last visit here at the Grill. The garlic bread is a little quirky and not to everyone's taste but we do have some other great nibbles for you to try here! I have spoken to our head chef with regards to the Rump and it is recommended to have this cooked medium however your comments have been taken on board and we'd love for you to visit us again! Do let us know if you do find yourselves booking with us again or if you would like us to make a reservation please don't hesitate to contact me on manchesterbdm@blackhouse.uk.com